budget Brazil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys, ladies

I am considering making a trip for about a month. One of the possible destinations on my list is Brazil. I have a few questions about it though

- What's a realistic backpackersbdget? How much is a hostel/ b&b a day? How much is a simple meal?

- I don't speak portugese (or spanish). Is this is a BIG problem or only inconvinient?

- How much is a dive usually? I want to go diving at least two weeks, pbb on two or three different locations. I have never been to S-America so I am not looking for anything out of the ordinary. Which locations are the usual suspects?

about me: 29 (by then), male, travelling alone. DM, prefer nitrox, like a beer or ten but enjoy a remote beach as well, macro or big stuff both fine with me, don't like redlight district-type of places, travel budget but not like a total bum (ok, sometimes).

thanks in advance :cool2:

Hi Sonar,

Unfortunately, there isn't much non-anecdotal English-language information to be had on backpacking Brazil. Hopefully others will also provide their opinions and you can get a good idea of what to expect.

1. PRICES: Anecdotally, I can tell you that prices here have increased exponentially in the last 3-5 years. The Economist's Big Mac Index for 2010 puts Brazil behind only Switzerland and Scandinavian countries for overpriced currencies. There are, though, still large gaps between prices for tourists and the simpler food and lodging that Brazilians consume. So, if you search right, you should be able to spend 15-20 USD per diem in a reasonable hostel, and you can usually eat the dish of the day for 6 USD or less.

2. LANGUAGE: Millions of people make do travelling on English here, but I'd be lying if I said that most Brazilians, even in the tourism sector, speak cursory English. The good news is that you can usually smile your way through conversations. Just do your research on prices before you get into a conversation in English so you don't get ripped off.

3. DIVING: A two-tank dive is going to cost you about 80 USD with equipment. The usual suspects for locations include: Fernando de Noronha (incredibly expensive), an island off the NE coast; Ubatuba and Ilhabela in Sao Paulo state; Angra dos Reis/Ilha Grande on the Green Coast (Costa Verde) and Buzios/Arraial do Cabo on the Sun Coast (Costa do Sol) near Rio de Janeiro; and Abrolhos in Bahia state.

Hope that helps!

-Daniel

thx daniel

i am quite dissapointed about the high prices. Might even have to find another location..
used to travel on 25usd a day..

Though I live in Argentina, I usually dive in Brazil, off the coast of Bombinhas (Santa Catarina State). Dive trips go to Ihla do Arvoredo, a nutural reserve.
I've been also diving in Argentina, Uruguay and also in San Diego - CA.
prices seem to be the same all over the world. This is a globalized world and prices are also globalized, not only for diving operators, but also for hostel and meals. The only things that seems not to be globalized are salaries and human rights.

hehe
i guess you haven't been to Asia then?

I am used to pay 25$ a dive (give or take), 5-12$ a night at a simple but clean hostel en 2-5$ a meal. I have been to busy lately to search a lot but mind is back on a Asia trip atm

thx for your efforts all

thx daniel

i am quite dissapointed about the high prices. Might even have to find another location..
used to travel on 25usd a day..

Sonar, I believe that you can spend 25 usd/day in some places in SE Asia. But in Brazil it will be very hard to do with this budged.

25usd/day is almost the salary that I paid for my housemaid.

This amount will be enough for food (if you eat in self-service restaurants that charge the food/weight), but you will have to add transportation and accomodation.

yeah, Brazil is officially of my list. Would have loved to visit it though. There is a thing about Brazil that's magic; don't know why :D

Hey carioca!

Do you have any specific recommendations for operators in FDN?

I live in SP now and am keen to explore Brazil.

muito obrigado..

Hi Naga:

I know of only three operators on Noronha:
Aguas Claras
Atlantis Divers
Noronha Divers

I had a great time with Noronha Divers at the time, but I haven't been there in 5 years, and their website being in terrible English leads me to think you might have some trouble communicating...so it might be worth calling each one of them and asking some tough questions to see who's better for your particular needs!

Hope that helps!

Thanks man.

Also, what do you recommend for Recife wreck diving?

Have you done that in-depth?

Also, is there diving in Maceio or close to it?

thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom