budget and compact UW camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luk

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to backpack and travel around. I'm looking for a decent, small and cheap underwater camera. Currently I'm eyeing a used go pro hero 4.
Have you used go pro hero 4? what do you like about it and what not?
Would you buy it used or refurbished?
If you have any other suggestion on camera, please let me know. Thanks!

Define cheap?

Are you looking at photos or video? GoPro is good at the latter, but there are better options for the former.

If you want to take photos, what are you thinking of taking photos of? GoPro is ok with big things (given enough light), but it'll frustrate you if you want to photograph smaller things.

If you're looking at anything other than video in relatively well lit water, then I would be suggesting you look at a compact camera - Olympus TG-5 or a used TG-4 (disclosure I have the TG-5), Nikon A130/W300, or Sony RX100.

Take a look at the camera review videos on backscatter.com - they do an annual best of in all the categories which might be useful

i bought a Panasonic lumix good for 105 ft and takes great pictures above and below.paid 300 Canadian at a boxing day sale

Cheap and compact will be a go pro.

Buying a different camera usually also requires to have a tray, flashes and a special case for it which really spikes up the prices.

You can get a go pro slap an underwater case on it and be done with it. great videos but close up photo's are not the best.

Define cheap?

Are you looking at photos or video? GoPro is good at the latter, but there are better options for the former.

If you want to take photos, what are you thinking of taking photos of? GoPro is ok with big things (given enough light), but it'll frustrate you if you want to photograph smaller things.

If you're looking at anything other than video in relatively well lit water, then I would be suggesting you look at a compact camera - Olympus TG-5 or a used TG-4 (disclosure I have the TG-5), Nikon A130/W300, or Sony RX100.

Take a look at the camera review videos on backscatter.com - they do an annual best of in all the categories which might be useful

This is excellent advice and I second the recommendation of the TG-4/5. Fantastic little camera that can take some great photos and does a decent job with video.

Look at a SJ CAM SJ6 Legend camera. About 1/3 the cost of a GoPro. Comes with a waterproof case. Lots of features. Good action camera. Takes very good underwater photos and video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom