buddy out there in Seattle around 18/19th June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluephoenix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Due to work I am in Seattle around this time in June.
As luggage weight is limited during the flights I can carry only computer and reg I think, so I would need an opportunity to rent equipment. And as I do not know the dive sites there someone who shows them and "local highlights" to me would be nice. It would be great if somebody could advise a LDC.
Or is there even a buddy who would dive with me those days?! :)

Do you know where in the Seattle area you are going to be? We have quite a lot of dive shops, depending on whether you are in the north end, east side, or south end. Or you may be able to borrow much of what you need, especially if you are willing to dive a backplate. You will most likely have to rent exposure protection, though. Virtually any dive shop will be able to rent you a wetsuit, and some rent dry suits.

Are you going to be diving after work? Tides in the afternoons those days look fairly nice.

I don't have my work schedule for June yet, but if I am not working, I'd be happy to meet up and show you around one of our local sites. You can also post on nwdiveclub.com, which is a very active local forum. I don't think you'll have any difficulty finding a buddy. None of us really needs much of an excuse to go diving . . . :)

thanks, so nice :eek:)
20th would also be possible I think
after work is great!
Tides in the afternoons those days look fairly nice.
:D
borrow a wing would be good, but I am also fine with another BCD
most of the time we are at the WSCC, looks like it is downtown

So the Coves at Alki are not far from you at all -- in fact, you can get there on the water taxi!

Borrowing a backplate setup in Seattle is a trivial matter.

Where are you from? Do you have cold water diving experience? Do you normally dive a drysuit? What size fins do you usually use?

Diver0001 here on SB came out to visit the PNW, and all he had to bring was his mask :)

more than the half of my dives are cold water dives, mostly in Germany; last week it was 5°
my fins are size S
at the moment I am thinking of buying a dry suit, but in my opinion borrow a semidry or wet suit will be better since I do not know if I buy a dry suit soon and will have enough experience until June

btw I like your avatar, did you bake it?

You'll almost certainly have to rent a wetsuit -- borrowing one here is difficult, because almost no one dives them after certification class.

Are those S Jets, or another make? I have medium Jets, but not smalls.

As for my avatar, I used to have the Borg Queen (an insider joke about my relentless marketing of DIR diving), but in a thread from a while back, a bunch of people told me they found it off-putting. A friend sent me a page of Borg cupcakes, so I took one for my avatar, because nobody can be afraid of a Borg cupcake, right?

As for my avatar, I used to have the Borg Queen (an insider joke about my relentless marketing of DIR diving), but in a thread from a while back, a bunch of people told me they found it off-putting. A friend sent me a page of Borg cupcakes, so I took one for my avatar, because nobody can be afraid of a Borg cupcake, right?

....you've gotta be kidding me. I don't know, I feel like if people can get their panties in a knot over the words "Borg Queen", then they can probably also find a cupcake upsetting. And those people are probably too emotionally unstable to be diving anyways

That's great! Until now, I just thought it was some kind of octopus cupcake.

sorry, I mixed words up, of course I meant rent a wetsuit :blush: :alien:

my fins are splitfins, due to an old injury by now I prefer splitfins, perhaps I try to rent such but thanks a lot for your thoughts! :)
It just occurred to me that I have also to think about valves (as my regs have DIN) and redundancy - is it possible to rent a pony?
I will ask my friends I dive with around here in the lakes if one has an DIN-INT adaptor to borrow me :wink:

nobody can be afraid of a Borg cupcake, right?
no, it's nice :)

No problem at all sourcing DIN tanks here. I think they are nearly as common as yoke. It should also not be a problem to borrow doubles, if you dive them. I don't know about renting a pony setup, because I don't use them at all.

You might actually consider bringing your fins instead of your regulator, unless your computer is on a console. Regs are easy to borrow, but fins that are the kind you like and that fit you might be harder to come by.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom