Trip Report Buddy Dive week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctorfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just got back from a week at Buddy dive and over all, I was disappointed. I have done many previous dive trips to Bonaire including a number at Buddy Dive and they have always been enjoyable.
This year's trip left a few things to be desired.
Check in: The room was not ready at 3 pm and when we came back at 4, the room was now ready but safe key, truck rental, hair dryer and towel took 3 more visits back to the desk because of lack of communication, organization and/or care. Every trip to the desk was an exercise in frustration. Checking out was no better.
The room itself was clean, cool, and the kitchen had adequate utensils and dishes.
The rental truck was in excellent condition and Buddy's provided a waterproof case for the key fob for shore diving.

The dive op was unable to honor our booked boat dives because of several large groups who had chartered boats, and in the end, we missed out on two boat dives per person. They did not reimburse us. There were several other divers in the same situation and the small dive boat did not go out all week so I think they could have accommodated us if they had wanted to.

The boat dives were a pain as there were several newbies on the boat who either ran out of air or came up to the surface early and the DM called the dives short. I realize there will always be newbies on a boat but that should not spoil the experience for everyone else.
The DMs always wanted to go to Klein, even when, IMO, conditions would have been better on the main island due to very high winds. I got the sense that the boat always went to the closest site. As an older diver, my shore diving potential is limited and it would have been nice not to be limited on the boat just to sites "not reachable from shore".
One boat dive was at the snorkel beach on the near side of Klein with current, poor viz and lots of boat traffic. I found this potentially dangerous as an experienced diver, and for the newbies it could have been a disaster. I think the DM was just plain lazy to have moored there and the only reason I can think of is that it was a very short run back to the dock for their lunch. On the boats there was water and hard candies for between dives. There are no coolers for clients to store their own treats. In view of all the fruit and pastry one sees at breakfast, the dive op might have thought to load some on the dive boats as well.
I got the impression overall that at Buddy Dive resort and boat diving they did the absolute minimum that they could get away with and not have customers up in arms.
The critters were as expected. There were lots of macro subjects, and no large fish apart from tarpon. We saw one turtle, one stingray, one eagle ray and not one single tiger or nassau grouper. There were fishing boats right up on the miniwall every morning which might explain the lack of macro creatures. On previous trips I think I've seen more bigger fish, but that in general is not why people dive Bonaire.

The food at breakfast was still excellent, and the food at Blennies was still bad. Dried out Calamari one night and terrible pizza the other. I only eat there after a night dive as it is easy, but I should know better.

On a positive note, the food at Mi Banana, Julian's, Between Two Buns, and Roos is still very good and value for money. Bobbe Jans is just open for take out.

This may have been my last trip to Bonaire and certainly my last trip to Buddy Dive as IMO, for an aging diver who can't easily manage or enjoy a full week of shore diving, Cayman Brac And Little Cayman hold more attraction, including valet diving at a comparable price point.

Just got back from a week at Buddy dive and over all, I was disappointed. I have done many previous dive trips to Bonaire including a number at Buddy Dive and they have always been enjoyable.
This year's trip left a few things to be desired.
Check in: The room was not ready at 3 pm and when we came back at 4, the room was now ready but safe key, truck rental, hair dryer and towel took 3 more visits back to the desk because of lack of communication, organization and/or care. Every trip to the desk was an exercise in frustration. Checking out was no better.
The room itself was clean, cool, and the kitchen had adequate utensils and dishes.
The rental truck was in excellent condition and Buddy's provided a waterproof case for the key fob for shore diving.

The dive op was unable to honor our booked boat dives because of several large groups who had chartered boats, and in the end, we missed out on two boat dives per person. They did not reimburse us. There were several other divers in the same situation and the small dive boat did not go out all week so I think they could have accommodated us if they had wanted to.

The boat dives were a pain as there were several newbies on the boat who either ran out of air or came up to the surface early and the DM called the dives short. I realize there will always be newbies on a boat but that should not spoil the experience for everyone else.
The DMs always wanted to go to Klein, even when, IMO, conditions would have been better on the main island due to very high winds. I got the sense that the boat always went to the closest site. As an older diver, my shore diving potential is limited and it would have been nice not to be limited on the boat just to sites "not reachable from shore".
One boat dive was at the snorkel beach on the near side of Klein with current, poor viz and lots of boat traffic. I found this potentially dangerous as an experienced diver, and for the newbies it could have been a disaster. I think the DM was just plain lazy to have moored there and the only reason I can think of is that it was a very short run back to the dock for their lunch. On the boats there was water and hard candies for between dives. There are no coolers for clients to store their own treats. In view of all the fruit and pastry one sees at breakfast, the dive op might have thought to load some on the dive boats as well.
I got the impression overall that at Buddy Dive resort and boat diving they did the absolute minimum that they could get away with and not have customers up in arms.
The critters were as expected. There were lots of macro subjects, and no large fish apart from tarpon. We saw one turtle, one stingray, one eagle ray and not one single tiger or nassau grouper. There were fishing boats right up on the miniwall every morning which might explain the lack of macro creatures. On previous trips I think I've seen more bigger fish, but that in general is not why people dive Bonaire.

The food at breakfast was still excellent, and the food at Blennies was still bad. Dried out Calamari one night and terrible pizza the other. I only eat there after a night dive as it is easy, but I should know better.

On a positive note, the food at Mi Banana, Julian's, Between Two Buns, and Roos is still very good and value for money. Bobbe Jans is just open for take out.

This may have been my last trip to Bonaire and certainly my last trip to Buddy Dive as IMO, for an aging diver who can't easily manage or enjoy a full week of shore diving, Cayman Brac And Little Cayman hold more attraction, including valet diving at a comparable price point.
We're the boat trips to Klein as a response to the northern sites being closed due to SCTLD?

The dive op was unable to honor our booked boat dives because of several large groups who had chartered boats, and in the end, we missed out on two boat dives per person. They did not reimburse us.
That sounds like a straight up rip off.

Many years ago, I often heard Buddy Dive Resort highly praised in reviews. It was like they could do no wrong. Over time, I heard less about them, and Dive Friends became the 'rising star.' Over recent years, BDR seems to get mixed reviews.

That vacations, like life, have imperfections and we need to make allowances is not news. For a business to sell you a package including defined services, then deny you those services and make no reimbursement, is deplorable.

Curious; were you signing up for boats in advance, or trying to jump on one "at the last minute?"
On the boats there was water and hard candies for between dives. There are no coolers for clients to store their own treats. In view of all the fruit and pastry one sees at breakfast, the dive op might have thought to load some
They have never provided coolers for clients. There might have been some space in their fresh-fruit coolers, but those stopped with island covid rules and haven't come back.

Since I'm also an aging diver, I understand your point. A trip to Bonaire is not optimized for boat dives, whereas Cayman is almost exclusively boat diving. Nice to have the alternatives

FWIW Stinapa has requested (possibly mandated) dive boats only dive Klein due to SCTLD. I know Dive Friends posted their boats will only be going to Klein.

We were in Bonaire last week as well. The trip was remarkable for what we didn’t see, no eagle rays or any ray for that matter, no baitballs, fewer large groupers and even tarpon, and even no lobster until our last day diving. It was remarkable for a shark at Webers Joy.

Re boat dive bookings: pre boked with package and then not honored
Re Klein vs northern sites: there were no restrictions for boat or shore diving except for the northernmost sites.

I had always been a Buddy dive fan in the past but this trip, as mentioned, was a disappointment.
In the past, there were always opportunities to go by boat to sites like Salt Pier and Hilma Hooker, but not this trip. I guess fuel pricing has forced them to be more constrained re distances.

Sorry to hear about your disappointing stay at buddys. Did you get any shore diving in on the house reef? We noticed that the boats at capt dons we're doing closer sites which we assumed was because of fuel costs. We had one large group but they had there own boat. I would have been less than pleased if I could not use paid boat dives because they had no room on the boats and they did not offer a credit, refund or some compensation when asked.

Re boat dive bookings: pre boked with package and then not honored
Don't you have to go into the shop and sign up for which boat trips you want to take? And if you don't do that you either get last choice or maybe shut out if there are no spaces left?

I went to the dive shop the day I arrived and was told the AM boat was already full for the next 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom