Buddy Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_drum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody stay here recently? Any comments? What about the Buddy Dive Shop, anyone use them lately? We are looking to book a trip on Bonaire, my GF got talked into using a travel agency and they are trying to move us that direction. I had conversed with Divrliz and wanted to stay there at the Golden Reef but if we go the travel agency route they don't want to book anything other than Buddy Dive. The website looks really good...
Comments?

Our dive shop takes groups there a couple times a year and would not use them if they weren't first rate.

I was last there in Jan of 07 and particularly enjoyed diving The Washington Park area

I spent ten days at Buddy Dive this past January. I absolutely loved it! There was a large group of us from our dive club. We stayed in apartment-type rooms complete with kitchenettes. Very nice. There are two restaurants on the resort with a couple more within a few minutes walk. Pick-up trucks were included in the reservation. The best part was the drive-up air station. You could drive up in your truck and take as many tanks as needed for your day of diving! We would load up for a two-tank morning dive, go back to the resort for luch, drop off the empty tanks and get full tanks for the afternoon dives. Awesome! Buddy Dive also has three (I think) charter boats moored at the resort if you prefer boat diving. The staff at Buddy Dive were very helpful and friendly. I could not imagine a more enjoyable vacation!

I hope this was helpful...have fun in Bonaire where ever you stay!

Buddy is a first-rate operation and their drive-thru tank operation is great if you'll be doing a lot of shore dives via your truck. Buddy's is a really popular destination for groups, so the boat dives tend to fill up fast. If you and GF are not part of a group, you might prefer to stay at Divi which has a similar great house dive and is located more centrally in the town and within walking distance of dozens of restaurants.

Check out this link:

Buddy Dive

All kinds of info and pictures. :) This one too:

Bonaire

Enjoy,

Michael

We've been to buddy a couple of times. I love the drive in tank pickup. They give you a truck with the room, and you just go. The boat dives hit the reefs that can not be reached from shore. Buddy also has a very nice reef right off their dock. Most of the rooms are suites for 2-3 couples. If it's just the two of you, make sure you ask for a suite for two.

Another vote for Buddy Dive. I have been there twice and hope to get back there this winter. They have a great operation and a very friendly and professional staff. The rental trucks are in good condition, the tank pickup/drop-off are a is well set up, and the house reef is alot of fun. The dive boats do trips to many of the dive sites that you cannot shore dive. The dive shop is good and the staff offers many classes if you are interested. The dive shop even gave my wife and I rental gear to use for two days until our luggage made it, free of charge.

You might want to check out Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire! to get some additional information on Bonaire if you have not done soe yet. Also, a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter is a great resource to have.

Enjoy the trip.

Another vote for Buddy's.

After leading a couple of trips there, I took my own time to go again. Good operation. What problems the rooms had they fixed immediately. Made my life very easy as a trip leader. Remember, there's always problems - it's how they are handled that makes the difference.

And Town Pier is the best 20 foot dive you'll ever do. I didn't bring my camera the first time and really regretted it.

Wow, it sounds like you cannot go wrong with them. I did get the BSDME book a few months ago, it is VERY useful I can tell. No matter what happens we will check out the island, GRI included. I really liked the look of the GRI website, looks like a great place also.
I never go on a trip without my camera, even put together a DVD with music when I get back. We went to Fiji last fall and put together a DVD for our after-trip party and everyone loved it.
Oh yeah, anyone have any problems bringing a laptop? After reading about some of the problems with theft, I'm thinking of leaving the laptop here although I really like having it on vacation to drop my pics and view them. Don't mean to start up the theft threads again but does anyone else bring a laptop or should I leave it home on this trip?

Wow, it sounds like you cannot go wrong with them.

Oh yeah, anyone have any problems bringing a laptop?
My experience with Buddy Dive was slightly different. While I had no complaints about the dive operation, food service, and general resort atmosphere (landscaping, pools, cleanliness), our room was a different story altogether.

Due to the design of the place, there was inadequate ventilation in the bathroom (no window, just a louver apparently feeding to some outside vent). This meant that every shower turned the bathroom into a sauna. The only way out of the sauna was to open the doors, but that just spread the moisture to the rest of the unit. Combine the moisture with floors that were as slick as ice when wet, and you have potential for problems.

The other cause of the wet floors was the leaking refrigerator. Every day we'd put a towel on the floor to sop up the growing puddle. Everyday the maid would remove the towel and let another puddle grow.

My wife slipped on the never-dry floor several times, wrenching her hip one time so badly she could barely walk for the rest of the trip. Thankfully Buddy Dive's boat dive operation is excellent since shore diving was out of the question for her.

There was no screen on the back door (and no opening windows), so when you wanted ventilation, you had no choice but to let in all the mosquitoes. The back door itself was a joke, since you asked about bringing your laptop. I did bring my laptop and saw many others with laptops at Buddy, but I continually worried about it once I discovered we could pop open the back door "lock" with any tool that would fit in the keyhole. While that was handy for me when I went to the pool, since the only other way back in the unit was walking all the way around the building, anyone else had just as easy access to our living room!

The water boiler thingamajig didn't work. That's more a Euro convenience I suppose, but as there was no kettle either, my wife wasn't able to have tea. And the moulding was loose in the hallway near the kitchen was loose and I caught my toe on it once and caused a lot of blood to mingle with the kitchen floor puddle. I let the maid clean that one up. While these last two are rather nitpicky, it's just further reminder that the attention to maintenance at Buddy Dive is apparently nil.

Instead of wondering why there was a puddle of water with a trail leading from the refrigerator every day, the maid simply mopped it up. Instead of wondering why there was a trail of blood leading from the loose moulding with the sharp jagged edge, the maid simply mopped it up. If the managers can't get around to checking out the rooms every once in a while to make sure there aren't any pending maintenance issues, then they need to train their staff to report obvious problems.

Did we report any of the problems? Sure. We wanted an extra pillow and it took us two days to get one in a sort of scavenger hunt with one staff member advising to ask another and so on until we made it to the laundry and begged. We reported the refrigerator and nothing was done. We didn't bother with the rest simply because it would have appeared we were nitpicking complainers when we are nothing of the sort. So I kept quiet and silently endured.

The worst for me was the bed/mattress. It sagged almost to the floor. Even without laying on it, it was clear from the U-shaped bowing that the bed was in sore need of maintenance. Was it my job as paying customer to become room inspector and report all 30 defects of the room we stayed in so they could fix them for the next paying customer? Heck no. I slept on that bed every night, waking up to a sorer back each morning until I herniated a disc on the last day and had to pack all my gear while hunched over.

My experience there appears to be in the minority. Apparently most of the rooms there are in better repair or else other people are far more tolerant than my wife and I. I'm not sure that the latter is the case, though, as I've enjoyed plenty of accommodations far more rustic than Buddy's. I suppose odds are that you'll end up with a decent room. If not, ask to switch early on. Beware of Room 106.

Went to Den Laman last visit and I loved it. Beds hard as a rock. Excellent maintenance: everything works and works well. The only design flaws are a curtain/door-less shower that gets too much water on the bathroom floor, and we had slight window leakage when it rained hard one night, but because of the floor texture, there's absolutely no slipping. I preferred the boat diving with Buddy, but BDA's tank room is just as easy to get to as Buddy's drive-thru for shore diving.

When we went to book our September trip, there was absolutely no question about repeating Den Laman.

Back
Top Bottom