Buddy contact on wall dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtbrider

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the best buddy positioning for wall dives? If side-by-side, then one person is far away from the wall and doesn't get a good view. And front to back or one on top of the other of course makes contact very difficult.

I had this issue the other weekend. We both had lights but it was daytime so the lights were hard to spot.

The best solution I thought of is to have one person lead and be next to the wall, and the other person would be on the outside. Then on the way back the two divers would switch roles and positions, and the other buddy could get a view of the wall. On a drift dive this wouldn't work out of course.

Adobo PM'd me with regard to the Breakthru diving Rec 2 class he took. On a wall dive they recommend one behind the other and to use can lights for communication. This would be for a minimum deco dive and divers with a similar mindset.

Perhaps the crux of the issue is that we need more experience using lights for communication.

I have always used one lead and one follow. Stay close and if I am leading I turn my head frequently to check on my buddy.

I agree. I do a ton of wall diving and we almost always have one lead and one follow. Unless its super bright out then HID lights are usually pretty visable. You just need to practice a lot with the light. Make sure they dont move much unless you are signalling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom