Buddy breathing is back….

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveHeart

DiveHeart Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
REALLY???…Many dive professionals and experienced divers struggle when working with individuals with disabilities in the water. Diveheart uses Buddy Breathing as a challenge skill to help teach multi-tasking, enhance skill sets and build confidence. See how NEW Adaptive Dive Team Protocols and innovative assessment tools & techniques have changed Adaptive Dive Training Forever Get Started | Diveheart
IMG_6192.jpg

That's a good buddy syncing drill. To give the more advanced a challenge try it with a double regulator! Good stuff!

I'd like to see bubbles coming out of the mouth of the guy with no regulator in his mouth.

I thought it was a very valuable skill for learning to calm down, manage stress, and problem solve. Even though it is considered obsolete, I still think it was a mistake to eliminate it from the latest curriculum.
And as far as bubbles, yes it's nice to see a small stream of bubbles, but more importantly it's critical to keep an open airway. You can keep an open airway and not produce a stream of bubbles.

Look carefully, there is a air bubble coming to the right ( looking at the picture ) of his nose :)

Good catch….if you look hard you can see small ones, but at first glance if does look as if there are no bubbles…:)

---------- Post added July 12th, 2015 at 12:44 PM ----------

Great observation…

---------- Post added July 12th, 2015 at 12:44 PM ----------

Good practice…:)

I'd like to see bubbles coming out of the mouth of the guy with no regulator in his mouth.
It's hard to see that with a black plastic bag stuffed in your mask! Much of Diveheart training is to develop empathy. You get to guide a simulated blind, paraplegic and quadriplegic diver and do a number of these skills in the process. You also get to simulate being blind, paraplegic and quadriplegic and be the recipient of those same skills. No, not all impaired divers will do these skills, but it's important for the adaptive diver buddy or instructor to know and understand the limits of those they are diving with.

As fun and rewarding as nailing the skills with a simulated impairment, the real reward is taking someone in the water who otherwise would not be allowed. Your ability to maintain perfect neutral buoyancy must be surpassed by your intuition, ability to adapt, while keeping your sense of humor and showing the utmost of respect. You simply can't understand perseverance until you see the obstacles many of these divers must overcome to enjoy our sport.

Caveat: I just recently finished my Diveheart Instructor cert. Who's going to be my first two victims? I want to pass this training on to others.

Back
Top Bottom