Buck Island Dive/Worth Bothering? (U.S.V.I.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm doing a cruise ship shore excursion dive. From what I've been able to find out so far, Buck Island off St.Croix is the likely destination. I'd love to book my own charter but don't want to take a chance missing the ship.

Is Buck Island worthwhile for a scuba dive? I figure compared to the 10' viz this winter at home in the Pacific N.W. anything else would be a pleasure.

My local LDS owner who lived in the USVI said not to bother.
I'll probably dive it anyway, but will it be fun? Any reports would be appreciated. Thanks.

diving is not allowed on Buck Island - only snorkeling.
Its a preserve.

Its a gorgeouse island though - but if you book that excurision you'll miss out on the wonderful diving on St. Croix

I was out there last year with some people doing a survey. Snorkeling is all you need. There is some really nice coral to see.

I was told that the Holland America ships do have scuba dive excursions and that Buck Island would be the most likely choice. (Admiralty was the St. Thomas shop that told me this.)

After seeing a couple of folks miss the ship due to booking other charter operators
and completely freaking out their spouses/family about how and where and at what immense expense they were going to be able to meet up at the next destination- it's just not an option. I realize
it's a compromise but I can always go back for a liveaboard some other time.
I thoroughly enjoyed my dives at Grand Cayman (Big Tunnels and Lone Star) and
know there are other dives in the area that were better, but my local LDS who lived in St. Thomas said not to bother and snorkeling was the ticket.

I'm hoping that as sailing time nears, I'll be able to determine who the line has booked their dive excursions with and if Buck Island will be the only choice.

They use to dive at Buck Island, but not in the underwater park area. In the park area it was just snorkel. They would dive just outside the park and it was a nice dive.

If you cane find a excursion to cane bay there is a excellent dive shop there that does the wall right there off the beach.

Thanks everyone. I'm already on my way to getting on the ship in Tampa, Fla.
I'll have to see what site is definitely scheduled in a couple of days. I appreciate
the info. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom