Bubbles between HOG SPG and hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GFuterfas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Chris (and everyone),

I've had the HOG D1 regs for 5 months now and really like them. I'm having trouble with a small High Pressure leak between the SPG and the High Pressure hose, and I'm wondering if this is something I can fix myself. I had this same problem when I first bought the regs from DRIS and when I sent them back for repair, they charged me for the repair because they claimed I damaged it trying to fix it (all I did was loosen and try to re-tighten, and they were new out of the box).

Anyway, I'm getting champagne-sized bubbles regularly at this connection, and if I jiggle it more bubbles will come out. The system won't stay pressurized if I have it attached to a tank and turn the tank's valve off -- the pressure will slowly drop to zero. The SPG is the HOG black 2" one. When I was at the Long Beach show last month, Chris gave me a spare little spool that goes inside the SPG -- I still have that sitting in a drawer here.

Is this something I can do myself with some wrenches and silicone? Don't want to get a big charge again for a simple little leak.

Thanks,
-Graham

Such a reapir is fairly simple with a bit of knowledge. I am surprised that you experienced the problem once and paid for the repair. And you were given an additional repair part. Yet you have not bothered to get the necessary knowledge!!!

Try this: spg spindle service [Archive] - ScubaBoard

Yes you can change the spool yourself. Take the SPG off of the hose and replace the spool. As far as lube goes just put a dab of it on your index finger. rub it a couple times against your thumb so that you just have a sheen on them, then put that sheen on the o rings on both sides of the HP spool. Now when you install the guage back on the hose just make it hand tight. Then taking the proper size wrenches snug it down. The spool that is in there may have bad orings on it or it could be cracked. Remove it carefully with a pair of needle nose pliers and try to gently pull straight out without twisting it very much. Do not try to torque it hard. You may damage the threads. If you have any questions/problems call me after 6PM EST. I will talk you thru it. phone number is on my website at Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services

There is another solution we can discuss as well. And it would not cost you more than $20 if the gauge and hose are not damaged.

I am a HOG /Edge dealer as well.

Great customer service! Chris immediately sent me a PM and walked me through it on the phone. I knew it wasn't difficult to inspect, but didn't want to go it alone. When I unscrewed the SPG from the hose, the O-ring was not on the spool but was inside the HP hose. When I removed the spool from the SPG, the O-ring was inside the SPG and not on the spool. Chris thinks maybe the O-rings installed were slightly too big. I put in one of the spools Chris gave me at the Long Beach show and hopefully that will fix it -- I don't have a tank to test with here but will dive it this weekend.

Thanks Chris and everyone for your help,
-Graham

This where I'd ask you to define if it's the spg or the spool that is leaking. I'm betting the spool. I've sold over a dozen of the SPG's and not had any problems. I do check the SPG and spool before I ship it. How long have you had the regs and did you assemble them yourself? When I sell a reg set unless the diver requests me not to, I assemble it, test it, and will either leave it assembled or break it down for them to ship. If requested I will leave the SPG on the hose for shipping so that you know it was put together right and pressurized to check for leaks. I don't charge any extra for this.

Interestingly I see the same with my 2.5" SPG. Following the thread now. :)

Great customer service! Chris immediately sent me a PM and walked me through it on the phone. I knew it wasn't difficult to inspect, but didn't want to go it alone. When I unscrewed the SPG from the hose, the O-ring was not on the spool but was inside the HP hose. When I removed the spool from the SPG, the O-ring was inside the SPG and not on the spool. Chris thinks maybe the O-rings installed were slightly too big. I put in one of the spools Chris gave me at the Long Beach show and hopefully that will fix it -- I don't have a tank to test with here but will dive it this weekend.

Thanks Chris and everyone for your help,
-Graham

This does not make any sense unless it was assembled wrong to begin with. If assembled correctly, the pressure would be pushing the o-ring towards the middle of the spool, not off the spool.

Tested yesterday on a tank and the bubbles are gone and the system holds full pressure for at least 30 minutes when I shut the tank valve off but leave the regs attached.

They came assembled originally from DRIS and leaked in the same spot upon arrival. I sent them back and the SPG was fine for a few months. I had mentioned this to Chris a month ago when I saw him at Long Beach and he gave me a spare spool that he had sitting there on the table.

Simple fix, if you're having this problem and want to take a look, you have to take the SPG off the hose and pull the spool out of the SPG (may be in there tight -- I had to use pliers to carefully remove the spool). I replaced the spool and O-rings with a spare I had. Perhaps your O-rings are slightly too big? You would think the O-ring would be pushed more onto the spool instead of left inside the hose, but that's how I found them.

Best,
-Graham

Graham, sounds like this is fixed, but if you have any other issues, feel free to let me know. You're close enough that we could easily fix any of this over at my place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom