Bubble in Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropical

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was flying back from my favorite dive destination, and playing with my computer on the flight, and I noticed a bubble showed up in the console. The bubble went away a few hours after we landed. Should I be concerned about this?

tropical:
I was flying back from my favorite dive destination, and playing with my computer on the flight, and I noticed a bubble showed up in the console. The bubble went away a few hours after we landed. Should I be concerned about this?
why dont you bring it in to your dealer and ask them to check it thoroughly. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah, I'll go get it serviced. That sounds like a good idea.

Ignore it.
I had also one in my computer after a fly.
It disappeared at the next dive and never came back.
Until the next fly, maybe.

I suspect that might happen every time a computer experiences the lower pressure of an airline cabin -- or baggage compartment. And that the "bubble" is just caused by air pressure inside the computer expanding temporarily.

We just never see it normally.

Do you mean the computer is filled with liquid???

gregorio:
Do you mean the computer is filled with liquid???
I assume that was to me. :D

Hmmm, good point.

(Thinking this through, this time...:huh: ) No, but it is filled with air. At least a little of it, around the electronics. Which would expand under lower pressure.

Again, I admit I'm SWAGing it here.... But if, say, something slightly flexible -- like the clear lens (not lens protector!) -- were to expand, it might pull away from what's underneath it (like the LCD display itself), and make it look like a bubble.

Just a guess.... But if it were an actual bubble, like there was liquid inside, I think that would cause immediate problems... as in catastrophic failure...

Unless someone knows for sure that this is normal, though, I probably would have it checked out...

--Marek

Marek K:
..snip..
Just a guess.... But if it were an actual bubble, like there was liquid inside, I think that would cause immediate problems... as in catastrophic failure...

Unless someone knows for sure that this is normal, though, I probably would have it checked out...

--Marek

First I assume that by stating that there is a bubble the OP does not mean that his computer is full of liquid, but that there is a bubble in the display screen.

LCD = Liquid Crystal Display. There is a sandwich of a glass sheet and a polarizing sheet with liquid crystals in between.
Bubble formation in LCDs is a problem both as part of the manufacturing process and also in use as they may be caused by high temperature/humidity conditions.

There are many patents for manufacturing and design techniques to minimize bubble formation.

So if this bubble was there when the computer came out of the box you probably would have a right to complain.
If this bubble only appeared after you left your computer dangling from your BC for a few hours under a hot sun then you probably wouldn't as you exceeded the specified storage conditions in your manual.

Sometimes bubbles get reabsorbed into the liquid.

Back
Top Bottom