Brutal viz in the upper keys this week!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Flat flat sea conditions
some of the worst non storm viz conditions in a long time
duane 10 ft
molasses 15 ft
hopefully will go out tomorrow and see if it has improved

What do you think is the reason?

Flat flat sea conditions
some of the worst non storm viz conditions in a long time
duane 10 ft
molasses 15 ft
hopefully will go out tomorrow and see if it has improved

Around here we call that really good.

No idea maybe one of the regular sofl divers will chime in
Likely the tropical activity that passed to the NE over the weekend. While it doesn't affect us from a wind perspective, those systems pump a whole lot of energy in to the ocean that is translated to wave energy which can travel thousands of miles. Up in Palm Beach County we've had a consistent 3 foot, long period swell for almost a week. That doesn't affect surface conditions much, but it creates surge through the water column that'll stir things up and reduce visibility. I bet that has something to do with the poor viz in Largo this past weekend.

I was down in mid-August and consensus was it has been a windier than normal season and that the wave action has created rough visibility conditions with not enough calm periods for clear visibility to return. Comparing when I was down at the end of April this year and in August it had gone from 40-60ft (I also lucked out and got a 75ft day on the Spiegel) to more like 25-40ft. I'm hoping to get down in May/June next year and stay for a month and get 40-60 dives in, so hoping this was a 2022 phenomenon!

I was down in mid-August and consensus was it has been a windier than normal season and that the wave action has created rough visibility conditions with not enough calm periods for clear visibility to return. Comparing when I was down at the end of April this year and in August it had gone from 40-60ft (I also lucked out and got a 75ft day on the Spiegel) to more like 25-40ft. I'm hoping to get down in May/June next year and stay for a month and get 40-60 dives in, so hoping this was a 2022 phenomenon!
Viz was 50 today

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom