Bruce Bowker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Protondecay123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
From the Carib Inn’s FB page.
Dear Carib Inn friends and family,

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to tell you that Bruce has passed away from the injuries he suffered earlier this week. He fell while doing a project and suffered a major head injury.
We are all devastated beyond belief and I know so many of you will feel the same. He was so special to so many and we grieve this monumental loss.
I have every intention of keeping his spirit alive by running the Carib Inn to continue its success and make him proud.
Thank you for your outpouring of love and support this past week it's meant so much to me, our family, and the staff.

Lynne

Bruce saved my dive week on Bonaire this Feb. He was friendly and helpful. Rest In Peace.

I saw that, very sad. He was taking the down time to do some updates to the property, he had been posting pics of his progress online. Apparently he fell and sustained a head injury. Bruce was a Jersey guy, we knew some of the same folks. He was always our go to guy on the island, fixed anything we ever brought his way, his bench was legend. No trip was complete without a visit to the Carib Inn. His prices more than fair, especially considering it's an island On more than one occasion, a fix would entail a simple twist or repostiioning and when asked what we owed, Bruce would simple wave us off. His web pages are filled with insights into early Bonaire exploits (Rappel from shore anyone?) and interesting takes. We never managed to stay at the Carib Inn, a long list of ardent followers meant booking was tough, but it always on the list of want to stay places. RIP

He was always our go to guy on the island, fixed anything we ever brought his way, his bench was legend. No trip was complete without a visit to the Carib Inn. His prices more than fair, especially considering it's an island On more than one occasion, a fix would entail a simple twist or repostiioning and when asked what we owed, Bruce would simple wave us off. His web pages are filled with insights into early Bonaire exploits (Rappel from shore anyone?) and interesting takes. We never managed to stay at the Carib Inn, a long list of ardent followers meant booking was tough, but it always on the list of want to stay places. RIP
His bench was indeed legend. The go to place on the island for any kind of equipment repair. Last February, Being stupid, while on the surface after a dive on Hilma Hooker swimming to shore, I noticed a small air leak at my 90 degree elbow and decided to tighten it back down under pressure. Of course, it got chewed up and started leaking worse. I didn't have the o ring on me and drove up to the Carib Inn. Bruce had me out the door in less than 5 minutes for a dollar.

Sad to hear this. I never met him, but I stayed at the Carib Inn when I dove there

My wife and I met his niece, Lynne on a flight down here (we live on Bonaire now) 7 months ago. She was coming down to be with Bruce after the loss of his wife. My friends and I scheduled a boat dive through Caribe Inn and I talked with Bruce a bit through the process. I interacted with him a few times, bought a T shirt etc. There was something really cool about him and I looked forward to getting to know him a bit. Unfortunately the COVID-19 thing happened. Bruce mostly closed up shop. He'd sell some retail goods but the inn and boats were down and he took that time to do work on the property.

Lynne said she'd operate the Carib Inn and I know more than a few people that will be trying to support that effort as soon as it starts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom