Broken tank straps -Sherwood Luna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearkeley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi - on a dive trip in the Philippines and Australia but unfortunately, both my tank straps broke on the BC. The plastic plates holding the straps to the BC ripped ( cracked) so no way to use it. The BC is only about 4 years old with about 150 dives....I love it because I am petite and it firs perfectly. Is there anyway to fix these with some sort of a back plate or should I just leave it here and not worry about carrying it back home to the US? Thanks!

Should be a easy fix.. IF YOUR HANDY or know someone how is...

Jim...

Good to know Jim. Pretty handy but haven't repaired a BC yet! Looks like screwing on a plate to the BC that the straps can go on could work, but seems to easy (once I find the plate). Any more specifics you can share?

I would replace the plastic with a Stainless steel or aluminum plate.. If you send me a few photo's , I could give you a better plan on how to fix it.. And most hardware stores or a home depot should have a plate you can use...

Jim...

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Seems like a plate on top and under the first layer could work but maybe it we need to remove the existing plate on the second layer, so we can put both layers back together? Issues would be sewing the fabric back on...can't do it with a machine, and where to get a plate small enough for this SS sized BC....

Here's kind of a weird idea - bring it back with you and find a STA (Single tank adapter) that's the right size and bolt it to what's left of your plastic backplate with some small plates/wingnuts That would give you a really solid connection and a place for two straps plus the tank rides in the channel so it should have better control than yours did originally. Something like http://www.diverightinscuba.com/techequipmentaccessories-diverite-singlestankadaptersta-p-3533.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=BC1090-SS&gclid=CKCuvO_N_soCFQsDaQodEQkAog

Plus you'd have mounting slots for two straps.

Zeagle sells a little kit for their plates that could be used on the inside also. Mounting Plates.

But you could probably find some flat plates of the right size at Home Depot also - at mine they sell all sorts of heavy duty flat steel stock. Epoxy painted it would last a long time.

Or maybe you could find a similar STA in a tech diving shop on your trip.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
A fast fix on your trip would be to make a loop with a weight belt and thread the tank straps through the loop then through the BC holes... Each strap would be pulling against the other... use a webbing slip stop and not a buckle...
Jim...

i gave up on those sherwood BCs due to the fact that the same problem occured on two sherwood BCs i owned.....now i just do the BP/W style.... i think sherwood should of put out a recall for these BCs...i heard the horror story of it happening underwater.

i gave up on those sherwood BCs due to the fact that the same problem occured on two sherwood BCs i owned.....now i just do the BP/W style.... i think sherwood should of put out a recall for these BCs...i heard the horror story of it happening underwater.

stumble across this thread...should I be concerned? I got a sherwood luna last year and have only done about 40 dives with it.

Bearkeley, was there any sign before the straps ripped?

don't know much about the LUNA....mine was an AVID type.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom