Broken Buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronpatana

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased an OMER alien mask for scuba and free diving. Today I accidentally broke the retaining buckle off one of the sides and am wondering if there is anything I can do about it. Any replacement parts I can purchase or can I fix it with super glue ( probably not). I’ve attached the photos below.

Thanks for any input! I’m super upset about this.

Attachments

• FD7586F7-0D0E-4002-934C-B5A98FC675E5.jpeg
    FD7586F7-0D0E-4002-934C-B5A98FC675E5.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 6A9D94DF-AB48-487B-A6FA-6B123F88E511.jpeg
    6A9D94DF-AB48-487B-A6FA-6B123F88E511.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 90
Hi all,

I recently purchased an OMER alien mask for scuba and free diving. Today I accidentally broke the retaining buckle off one of the sides and am wondering if there is anything I can do about it. Any replacement parts I can purchase or can I fix it with super glue ( probably not). I’ve attached the photos below.

Thanks for any input! I’m super upset about this.
Glue (of any sort) isn't going to handle the pressure, and flex, of that part with that small of a gluing surface. I would contact the manufacturer to see if the whole buckle is a replaceable part. in the mean time, the improv fix I would do is a ziptie binding the strap to itself just past the buckle. Do it between the ridges on the strap and it should hold position well. It would leave the strap only adjustable on the other side... but if it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid! lol
Respectfully,
James

Glue (of any sort) isn't going to handle the pressure, and flex, of that part with that small of a gluing surface. I would contact the manufacturer to see if the whole buckle is a replaceable part. in the mean time, the improv fix I would do is a ziptie binding the strap to itself just past the buckle. Do it between the ridges on the strap and it should hold position well. It would leave the strap only adjustable on the other side... but if it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid! lol
Respectfully,
James
Just wanted to say Thank you to James! The zip tie did work but I will have to wait till my next dive to confirm!

You could buy a velcro and neoprene replacement strap, whilst you search for your part.

As stated above, most shops sell a version of the slap strap (neoprene and velcro) for $8-$10.
1st thing when I buy a new mask is ditch the existing strap and replace it.
I think I have one that's probably going on 20 years of use now, getting a bit crispy but still works.
Last forever and no plastic bits to break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom