Broken bones: healing, diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fxholt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Broke my thumb last weekend and had surgery yesterday. Got a little metal bone anchor in there and a bitchin' high tech stitch. I'm going to be in a hard cast for 6 weeks.
Obviously I won't be attempting to dive during this time... but is there any reason I shouldn't dive immediately after the cast comes off? Anyone have any pressure related weirdness around newly healed bones, metal implants, etc?
This threw off a Key Largo trip for me! So i guess I will be reading more dive books and trying to maintain cardio fitness for 6 weeks.:shakehead:

Discuss with the hand surgeon what kind of stresses your fracture should be able to withstand immediately after cast removal. He may not want you trying to carry gear or drag yourself back onto a heaving boat right away.

As far as fractures and hardware go, although there are theoretical concerns about DCS in areas of injury, I'm not aware of any studies that confirm that people with fractures and hardware are any more susceptible to diving problems than anyone else. I've had 23 fractures and 7 major operative repairs and carry around enough hardware inside me to build a Volkswagen out of, and I haven't had any problems with any of it with respect to diving, except the problems that come with the physical stress of handling and walking in heavy gear.

Because your hand is so important to your quality-of-life, recovery tends to be very conservative. After 6wks, you will have lost a fair bit of hand strength and it's virtually certain that you'll be put on physical therapy. Don't skimp or short-cut it. It's not simply about regaining strength and flexibility. The exercises are designed to help the healing/rebuilding tissue orient properly to maximize strength and flexibility. Good luck.

TS&M .... sheeeesh...

Thanks guys... i will be patient. TS&M, 23 fractures and 7 surgeries?? What happened to you? ? Sounds like you got HIT by a volkswagon.

Oh, I'm just an uncoordinated person who's led an active life and breaks easily. They're almost all separate incidents.

Discuss with the hand surgeon what kind of stresses your fracture should be able to withstand immediately after cast removal. He may not want you trying to carry gear or drag yourself back onto a heaving boat right away.

As far as fractures and hardware go, although there are theoretical concerns about DCS in areas of injury, I'm not aware of any studies that confirm that people with fractures and hardware are any more susceptible to diving problems than anyone else. I've had 23 fractures and 7 major operative repairs and carry around enough hardware inside me to build a Volkswagen out of, and I haven't had any problems with any of it with respect to diving, except the problems that come with the physical stress of handling and walking in heavy gear.

Dear god! Mostly equestrian related? Do you set-off airport metal detectors? :D

No, I don't, and I find that quite odd, as all the hardware I have is stainless steel (no titanium). Apparently, all you have to do to smuggle a gun onto an airplane is make it out of stainless and bury it in a roast.

No, I don't, and I find that quite odd, as all the hardware I have is stainless steel (no titanium). Apparently, all you have to do to smuggle a gun onto an airplane is make it out of stainless and bury it in a roast.

Well I woke early and can't get back to sleep thus tired but you made me laugh nevertheless. :thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks guys... i will be patient. TS&M, 23 fractures and 7 surgeries?? What happened to you? ? Sounds like you got HIT by a volkswagon.

I'm reminded of the immortal words of Craig Breedlove who, after losing his brakes and drag-chute and skidding and crashing his Spirit of America jetcar over 5 miles of the Bonneville Salt Flats ending in a 200mph launched-airborne face-plant into a salt-encrusted pond, was extracted uninjured from the wreckage and said, "And now for my next trick....".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom