Broken ankle and upcoming trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Recently broke my ankle and will be in a cast for 6 weeks.Months ago I booked a trip to Yap and Truk for sept.29.doctor says I'm cutting it close for recovery and trip.anyone have experience as to the ability to reurn to diving or finning?i have trip insurance but really don't want to cancel. Thank you

Cancel. My six week spiral-fracture turned into 7 months before I could dive.

Last edited:
Scooter. I'd still go, but I'm nuts:wink:

What did you break in your ankle? I had a very low fibula fracture a few years ago and the surgery was ~5 weeks before a shore diving trip to Curacao. My very generous and helpful wife ended up carrying my gear into the water for me so I could don/doff there and had no real issues. Smartest thing I've ever done? Probably not. But I put in ~30 dives on that trip that I'd have not got otherwise. In my case, stability wasn't really a concern as they'd reinforced everything with metal. Best to not take any of our advice and work with your doctor.

I have a similar break reinforced with screws and plate.im hoping if I can get there,the boat crews at Manta Ray Bay Resort and Truk Odyssey can help me getting equipment on and off in the water as I doubt I will be able to bear the weight.Youre right about the advice given by any other than doctor.just wanted to know about other's experiences. Thank you to all who replied. I really,really,really,yes,really want to go.

I've been told by many people that if you **** it up the first time (healing), it's much worse the second time.

^ +1

:no:

A tremendous amount depends on what the fracture was and how the pieces were oriented. "Ankle fracture" can range from a small avulsion off the distal fibula as a result of a bad sprain, to a tibial plafond fracture that can result in ankle fusion. None of us can tell you, without a great deal more information, what the prognosis is for being able to weight bear and kick by the end of September. If you are fairly young, and the fracture was a nondisplaced fibular fracture, you might be just fine. If it was a more complex fracture, you might have trouble.

The person to ask is the orthopedist you are seeing for this injury. Describe the physical demands of scuba to him -- the weight you carry and the mechanics of kicking -- and let him decide whether it is appropriate or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom