Bringing the RV Calypso back to life......sort of.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
First off, I put this in basic for the views. I'm sure it'll be moved to some place more appropriate but 1) damn the torpedoes, everyone should see this, and 2) I'm not actually sure where the most appropriate place for this would go. Moderators gotta moderate and I'll blame my lack of judgement on a head injury or something. Yeah, a head injury.

CLICK ME: RV Calypso

Anyway, everyone loves LEGO's. Everyone loves Jacques Cousteau (mostly). Many people got their start in scuba diving after seeing Jacques Cousteau going on scuba adventure after scuba adventure, always with his iconic boat, the RV Calypso.

OR ME: RV Calypso

While the Calypso languishes, rotting away, victim to family in-fighting, debtors claims, and not a small amount of political intrigue, one fan by the name of LuisPG decided he wanted his own, and thus went to the all time favorite method of childhood creative expression. And built his own. Out of LEGO's.

LEGO has an interesting program called LEGO ideas. People can submit their own creations, and if popular enough, it will become an official LEGO set, with the manufacturer producing the set complete with instructions and all of the normal retail accoutrement.

CLICK HERE: RV Calypso

So, I want one, because as @RainPilot can attest, I'm immature af and would do something like spending a ridiculous amount of money on something like this. However, I do not have the creativity nor the knowledge of the intricacies of LEGO to create my own. Short of stepping on one in the middle of the night, my love affair with those little pointy bricks of pain begins and ends with a flurry of expletives and a brief, split-second desire to end the life of any miniature humans in close proximity.

This is where scubaboard comes in. With the largest collection of scuba diving aficionados on this series of tubes, I'm sure we can all support this and get it made. It would be a shame for generations of kids to miss out on that "first hit" that spawned so many scuba divers' love of the water.

CLICK HERE AND SUPPORT: RV Calypso

Seriously, just do it! While the real one rusts away, we can all have shiny little plastic ones! Hell, even if you're just a fan of Steve Zissou, get one and blow up a jaguar shark.

IN CASE YOU MISSED THE LINK: RV Calypso

Signed up and supported it. Watching Cousteau as a kid is why I’m a diver today.

Let’s all get behind this.

Just love it ! Supported it too ! I grew up in the 70's in front of a TV set watching JYC's Odyssey.

Find that one browsing. Not bad either.

chopper

For those of you having trouble finding a link.....

RV Calypso

:poke:
Oh, thanks. Glad you pointed it out.
BTW, this clearly should be a Technik set, but will be supported as is...

Last edited:
Done.

Me, too!

My son (30+ years old) has a number of the contemporary Lego sets. He's got a couple of Porsche Lego models that are extraordinary.

I'd love to get two of these so he could build me one.

Back
Top Bottom