brighest compact, lightweight light for in and out of water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cougar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for a small but really bright light that I can also use out of the water. I feel like I have read thousands of reviews and only a few of them work out of the water. What do you guys recommend?

The reason most of them don't work out of the water is cooling issues. One option is the Light & Motion GoBe series, they are designed to work both in and out of the water. They also have interchangeable light heads for different purposes. Wait for them to go on sale which they usually do every few months at B&H Photo or Backscatter.

The $60 DGX 600 light is fantastic as a primary light and it is rated for above water use.

DGX Gears 600 BUTTON Handheld Light
Yeah, it can be used out of the water, but it does that by shutting down the brightness when it gets hot.
Pretty much any light can be used out of the water if you can set the brightness lower.

Yeah, it can be used out of the water, but it does that by shutting down the brightness when it gets hot.
Pretty much any light can be used out of the water if you can set the brightness lower.

Not really a problem as the brightest setting is usually too bright, even underwater. Temperature control is a feature not a bug.

Personally, I'd use a dive-light out of water if needed, until I can access a normal light. Preferably one that dims when it over heats, as others said, it's a feature not a bug.

This isn't a dive-light, but here's my favorite EDC light. It's an extremely bright light, tiny, and with a long battery life.

S1R Baton II

Or if you want ultra-tiny, here's what I keep on my key-chain. 150-lumens may not sound like much, but it's plenty for going on a night-walk:

i1R 2 Eos Kit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom