Trip Report Brief report Feb. 13th to 27th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveallthetime

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not the best at doing these but here goes:
Arrived Feb. 13th after nearly not getting out of our Michigan departure to Chicago. Props to United for holding the plane to Coz for us and a few other mid westerners. Would have been a major bummer to have missed that flight.

Arrived about 1 1/2 hours late in Coz. got through immigration quickly no red light and no issues with medical form etc. Jumped in a taxi and had it drop us at rentadora isis for our car (1/2 the price of the others) and was totally pleased with the car and no hassle service. Paid cash got another 10% off.

Headed to Mega for some quick groceries and adult beverages (got pesos right away at atm) used Schawb Debit card no fees (they get reimbursed) and they give best exchange (decline the exchange when the atm asks). FYi they do pump some hand sanitizer and take your temp every time you walk in the stores (rest of trip we shopped at Chedraui) Loaded up the goods and headed off to our condo at Residencias Reef.

Cannot say enough good about Residencias Reef, from the gated entry to the immaculate grounds to the very nice beach and nice beach lounges and 2 very nice pools. We had a 3rd story 1 bedroom in Bldg.# 4 and it was very very well provisioned and great cleaning staff.

Bad part of the trip was the wife did not dive due to sinus issues so I did 12 dives and we spent great quality time and the beach or doing walks and drove around the island and a couple other things. 13 days of awesome weather, one day of rain and a norte so port was closed.

Dove with Papa Hogs who I have dove with in the past, friendly owners and staff and good boats. On 2 occasions I was the only diver and 2 others just myself and another and at most one time there was 5 of us.

Vis was pretty darn good, water temp 80 on the Shearwater, I only wore a lava core long sleeve top. Brought a 3 mil farmer john and it did not get wet.

Not one dive was less that 60 minutes, Papa Hogs uses al 80s they do have 100s if you are so inclined.
They did pick me up in front at our beach so saved me driving to town and an extra 15 minutes of boat time. I really enjoyed the diving and pretty much calm seas and good vis.

We did some of our own food prep and ate out a fair amount cause who wants to cook when your on vacation. Right outside the entrance and about 200 feet north wound up being one of our favorite go to food places. Dona Chely is a mom and pop taco stand (does have a few tables) You gotta go here for the tacos, the Torta's and Sopes. No matter what you get you will like and it is so inexpensive I usually gave them twice what the charge was. Others we really like El Moro for great food and atmosphere and the exact same can be said for Los Moros del Morrito both great authentic and off the beaten path. K'ooben Laab for some wonderful Italian (the tablas meat and cheese tray for 2 is great) as is their food and bread. And we went out twice to Kondesa, great outdoor intimate dining and great food (the hamburger with shrimp tasty and huge portion) catch of the day was red snapper and very good and get desert. I am always pleased with the costs of food and beverage from restaurants and the stores and eating out is so reasonable we just do not want to cook even though we had excellent facilities.

Kind of a closer, we had set up an appointment at Costamed for our antigen covid test. Set it up online for 11:00 on the Thursday before leaving on Saturday. Got there 1/2 hour early. when you go to enter you stand in a kind of tented area and you get semi fogged with something, I just closed my eyes and did not breath but it was nothing bad. They got us in and filled out a little more paper work and then the nurse jammed the 4 foot long q-tip from my nose to my toes paid our $50.00 each and in 1 hour had our results and I loaded the pdf on to the United app and in 15 minutes we were approved to reenter our country. It really was no big deal so don't sweat it.

Had a blast, missed most of the arctic blast here at home (it's 50 today) and look forward to visiting Coz again later this year.

I tried a very short video of a couple of good encounters I had.

Adios

Thanks for the write up-

Did you fly DTW-CHI-CZM both ways? I do not fly United often as Delta is much more convenient out of Detroit, but they are not going to Coz, and I am not keen on the bag drag even though Delta has a lot of very good prices and choices on direct flights DTW-CUN.

Thanks for the write up-

Did you fly DTW-CHI-CZM both ways? I do not fly United often as Delta is much more convenient out of Detroit, but they are not going to Coz, and I am not keen on the bag drag even though Delta has a lot of very good prices and choices on direct flights DTW-CUN.

Kalamazoo-Chicago-Coz
return
Coz-Chicago-Grand Rapids (they cancelled the Kalamazoo return leg about a month before leaving)
rates were reasonable
i usually always fly Delta but would not personally consider the bag drag :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom