Breathing Wet ~

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mm777

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any ideas why my Zeagle Envoy would be letting in a lot of water when I'm upside down? My Octo-Plus does fine but the Envoy starts getting hard to breathe and then it gets really wet.

A conventional second stage design breathing a little harder when inverted is normal. In that position, the center of the diaphragm is higher in the water column than the mouthpiece so the air in the second stage has less pressure (an inch or two of water less) than when in a normal swimming position so the inhalation effort is greater.

The wet breathing is also pretty common. In many second stages, water will slip past the exhaust valve when you exhale in an inverted position and the water will then collect in the "bottom" the second stage and will cause the reg to breathe very wet on the next inhalation.

This usually more of a problem with compact second stages that have little dead space in the second stage for water to collect and remain out of the way until you are upright again and the water can drain out the exhaust valve.

Small exhaust tee's can also aggravate the problem as they trap less air when inverted and can increase the potential for water to enter through the exhaust valve.

mm777:
Any ideas why my Zeagle Envoy would be letting in a lot of water when I'm upside down? My Octo-Plus does fine but the Envoy starts getting hard to breathe and then it gets really wet.

DA offers great advice.

Sometimes a wet breathing regulator is caused by a torn mouthpiece as well. This happened to me once. My reg started to breath wet - I was venting the water every few minutes. Upon close inspection a little tear was hidden in a curved portion of the mouthpiece allowing water to come in.

--Matt

mm777:

Check out the diaphragm, You might have a slight tear or small hole. If you replace it you will most likely fix the problem.

Or buy a Atomic, (Just Kidding, Board don't get your panties in a wad.)

Small holes in mouthpieces and diaphragms will definitely cause wet breathing but it tends to be constant rather than related to a particular position and will not usually cause a regulator to beathe hard.

One other possibility for a very wet breathing reg could be a crack in the case. This would tend to be more noticeable when inverted where the water cannot drain out the exhaust.

A simple pre dive check for all sorts of leaks from holes in diaphragms and mouth pieces to leaky case o-rings, cracked cases and stuck exhaust valves is to attach the reg to the tank and then trying to breath out of it before you turn on the air. If you get any air at all when trying to suck air from the second stage, you have a leak somewhere and you should try to find it and repair it before you dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom