Breathing up with pure O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
There was a thread started about breathing up on O2 recently. Obviously it would not be wise to breathe up to 1.0 pp O2 and dive down to 20 or even 10 meters, but I was wondering what the effects would be sitting on land.
So, my son and I went down to the shrimp hatchery on Sunday and gave it a shot. We use O2 for shipping baby shrimp to other farms and here.
First off, my personal best on air is only 4 min 5 sec.
I laid down on the floor and breathed up normally, deep and slow for a couple minutes. I then took 5 deep, breaths of pure O2, followed by 4 quick hyperventilations.
I felt a little dizzy at first but just laid there. The first attempt I reached 3 min 40 sec. I started feeling a little dizzy near the end and saw a few stars so I stopped. Also, my diaphragm was slowly spasming.
I waited another 8 minutes or so and repeated the process. This time I reached 6 min and 20 seconds.
Same thing with the spasms.
I think that the CO2 was building up, telling me to breath, thus the spasms. But I had enough O2 left in my blood that I didn't feel the need to breath.
I think I could reach 8 minutes easily. But then, what's the use? This isn't something I would ever apply while diving....or even sticking my head under water in the bathtub.
But, the weather was bad so no spearfishing that day....life in the country.

LOL, if you are going to do this, do it with someone watching you that knows CPR. Very risky,

Actually, the most recent men's world record for a static apnea involved breathing up on pure O2.

I will see if I can find the article, but it will have to be later.

Peace,
Greg

I watched it on Oprah a few years back. not sure if that was the most recent record

I believe thats how some of the free divers or world record breath holders. are able to hold there breath for the extended amount of time is they breath pure Oxygen before diving. I could be wrong but I believe that is what I had heard.

I once watched Dr. Christian Lambertson breathe up on pure oxygen and hold his breath for 15 minutes.

Just to be clear, that was on the surface, in a lecture hall, sitting in a chair on stage while a colleague lectured.

Just to be clear, that was on the surface, in a lecture hall, sitting in a chair on stage while a colleague lectured.
I understood it to be a surface excersize, and still- wow.

The hard part was occupying my mind and relaxing to pass the time. Thinking of songs was too fast. I wanted to slow down so after a couple minutes I started saying all the states in the US....slowly. Waaasshhhiinnngtoon....Orreegoooonnn....by the time I got to Geeooorrrrgggiaaaa, I knew the time had passed but I still felt good. Must be because of all those pretty girls there?
It's a different feeling than when breathing up on air. You feel the need to breath but not as desperately and I started seeing stars a bit.
I told my buddy, who went home, called me back and said he just did 5 min 15 sec on air. Pr**k...hah.
He's just a kid though....35 or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom