Breathing Bellows?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can find suppliers, preferably in the Middle East, for breathing bellows to be used in my rebreather?

Quoted from http://www.portup.com/~dfount/drfpascr.htm

McMaster-Carr sells a range of neoprene-coated nylon bellows ranging from 1 3/4" O.D. to 12" O.D. If I could find a suitable tube for the main housing (approximately 7" I.D.), I'd use the 6 3/4" O.D. X 5" I.D. bellows for the outer bellows. This would need to be about 9" long to give a maximum counterlung volume (my vital capacity) 4 liters. An inner bellows measuring 3" O.D. X 2" I.D. would give a discharge ratio of about 17%. An 8" X 6" outer bellows would allow a shorter counterlung (at about 6 1/2") and would give a choice of 3 1/2" X 2 1/2" or 3" X 2" inner bellows for a discharge ratio of 18% or 12%.

That's www.mcmaster.com

They're a very serious operation, and I'm almost sure that they either have international shipping, or can arrange it with a customs agent.

MrConclusion:
Quoted from http://www.portup.com/~dfount/drfpascr.htm

McMaster-Carr sells a range of neoprene-coated nylon bellows ranging from 1 3/4" O.D. to 12" O.D. If I could find a suitable tube for the main housing (approximately 7" I.D.), I'd use the 6 3/4" O.D. X 5" I.D. bellows for the outer bellows. This would need to be about 9" long to give a maximum counterlung volume (my vital capacity) 4 liters. An inner bellows measuring 3" O.D. X 2" I.D. would give a discharge ratio of about 17%. An 8" X 6" outer bellows would allow a shorter counterlung (at about 6 1/2") and would give a choice of 3 1/2" X 2 1/2" or 3" X 2" inner bellows for a discharge ratio of 18% or 12%.

That's www.mcmaster.com

They're a very serious operation, and I'm almost sure that they either have international shipping, or can arrange it with a customs agent.

I remember reading several years ago (I think on the AARG site) a recommendation to stay away from neoprene in the loop, as it is too good a host for bacteria, and really hard to keep clean. Have you found this to be a problem?

Edit: I noticed that the next paragraph on the page you quoted states:

Dan's Rebreather Brainstorms:
I've hear from a couple of homebuilders who tried the neoprene-coated nylon bellows from McMaster and found them too stiff for counterlung use. The polyurethane bellows from the same source are said to be much more pliable and might work well.

3dent,

You are probably right. I am no expert on this, I just remembered seeing this *possible* source of *possibly acceptable* breathing bellows, and wanted to pass it along.

Maybe McMaster-Carr also has non-neoprene bellows? Perhaps if one could find out who the manufacturer of the neo-bellos is, then they might be able to special order some non-neo products?

I have no idea, but it was the only "starting point" I could think of. I am NOT recommending or condemning the use of these products - that's WAY outside my area of knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom