Breathing and Nausea Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPink

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi. Newly certified diver. I have a question that I have not yet seen anyone ask before. (If I missed it I apologize) The questions/advice I have seen regarding breathing deals with hyperventilating while diving. I have the opposite issue. Though I do not breathe this way on the surface, I am beginning to realize that I breathe in very deeply while I dive. I enjoy the experience, hug the bottom, when I inhale deeply and begin to rise I push out my breath to stay neutral. It is not my "natural" way of breathing and I am not sure why I breathe this way while under the water. I would not concern myself with it were it not for an issue that has happened to me ALMOST every time that I dive. Vertigo and nausea after diving. The first time this happened, it was for my OW certification at Alexander Springs, 3 dives- 20-30ft, 35mins max each dive. Car ride home, putting drops in my ears, head shifted dramatically to each side to accommodate the drops and BANG vertigo and nausea which lasted for about 20 minutes. It dissipated and I thought nothing else of it. 2nd time- first ocean dive in choppy water. Nervous about that one, rough on the surface, once I got down to the reef, 65ft max, I was fine. Down for about 40mins, surfaced and on the boat still fine but breathing heavy due to surface current and swimming to the float then hoisting myself on the ladder. Few minutes to relax then I went about the task of changing my gear over to my other tank, finished, looked up and BANG vertigo. Ended up vomiting off the back of the boat and just decided not to do my 2nd dive. Attributed that to the choppy water, being on the boat, and first ocean dive. 3rd time- yesterday at Blue Heron Bridge. Max of only 12ft, entered water just before high tide, down 50mins, current got stronger and you could feel it while under the water. Do not think I exerted much effort under the water but when we surfaced and had to swim back to the entry(it is a shore dive in very shallow water btw) I swam on my back with my BCD inflated and there was a current so it required some effort. In thigh-high water, looked down to remove my fins, commenced to walking in and BANG vertigo and nausea again which lasted for about 25 mins. I am unclear if this is an ear issue or a breathing issue where I am actually inhaling too much? (saw something about that somewhere but cannot locate it now but it had to deal with carbon monoxide maybe?)

Call DAN as soon as you can. They will be the quickest path to getting to the bottom of this. This could potentially be a symptom of DCS, and you need to figure out what it is before you dive again.

I'd call DAN just to be sure... but you may be getting water in your inner ear and it's screwing with the water that is supposed to be there that keeps your equilibrium in check. That's why when you move your head a certain way the water back there shifts differently than your brain is used to recognizing... I used to get this alot when surfing in REALLY rough surf, because water would get shoved in there. Used Swimmer's Ear drops and was fine after a couple of hours once the water worked it's way out.
That is just my experience, but to avoid any unnecessary medical issues I'd give DAN a call or just run in for a checkup with your Dr. and mention it.

edit: That current at BHB can get pretty nuts! lol I dive there 2 times a month (more if I can find the time) and sometimes that current will wear you out and you won't notice until you're out of the water and just want to pass out lol.

I agree on calling DAN- if you aren't a member, join now. I will also share a few things with you. You breathing pattern is not likely contributing to your nausea. Surface motion, pitching boat, and engine fumes are each, and collectively, a more likely cause. Even with nearly 1000 dives, I still get nauseous between dives on a regular basis. I blow a few chunks, drink some water, and am good to go again. With more diving, particularly a couple of dive a day for successive days, my tendency to motion sickness decreases, as may yours. Finally, after a few hours on a pitching boat, many people, including me, will experience vertigo type symptoms when walking or sitting on terra firma. The inner ear is still in compensation mode. A few years back after 4 days on a 47 foot sail boat on which I felt fine, we docked, and a wlaked down the dock like a drunk- very new experience for me back then

I agree with everyone else, call DAN to get a second opinion.

As for your diving habits, you don't really want to be hyperventilating or breathing deeply throughout your entire dive. That can get tiring. Put a little bit more air into your BC then you won't have to breath in so deep before you get neutral.

I take back what I said about DCS. Pretty unlikely at 12 ft. It does sound like something is not right with your inner or middle ear.

Greetings Scuba Pink first of all I echo CALL D.A.N. and follow their advice!
Do not panic or get anxious about this problem if you enjoy diving relax and work to solve the issue.
A good ENT is worth his weight in gold to divers like us!
Yes I said us I to suffered from similar conditions of which you speak and it was inner ear issues that still I have to work around carefully.
It just takes time and practice but before long you learn how to control them.

SLOW SLOW SLOW!
My ascents are very slow to let my ears vent gently this has all but alleviated my vertigo issues.
I descend usually no faster than 30-60 ft a min. and ascend far slower than 30ft a min.
Some buddies go out quicker I will go slower even if it is cold because if I do not I will have issues.

Focus on being horizontal in the water and on your ascents and descents.
This is a HUGE issue at the start of most entry divers.
If you ears are struggling buoyancy control will allow them to vent and gently do so.
Fast or vertical was like pulling a trigger on my ears and it hurt BAD!
Take your time learn good trim and buoyancy and it will be a whole lot easier to control your issues.

Boat diving is different for every person you might be more susceptible to motion sickness but there are a lot of meds out there that are dive friendly today.
Try Bonine it is my go to if I am queasy a bit.
Best to consult D.A.N. on dive related meds to make sure you don't have interactions issues with drugs.
Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Thanks all for the advice. GamG it is interesting you suggest ascent and descent horizontally. (although I can't work out a horizontal ascent?) I was taught it was easier to clear being vertical as it elongates the e tubes. However, the one time I did descend horizontally was in the ocean and it was mandatory because the current was strong and we had to swim as we descended so as not to get pushed off the reef. It was the easiest descent I had ever done. That was also my first ocean dive and a drift dive from a boat. Perhaps that vertigo episode was due to being on the boat as the DM told me I should have transferred my gear in increments and be careful looking up after looking down while being on a boat as it can cause vertigo issues in even seasoned boat divers. I will try the horizontal swimming descent next time and I am also going to take triptone. I actually tried Bonnie on a work day to see how it would effect me before I used it on dive day and thank goodness I did- It made me much too drowsy. Since posting this initially, I did additional web searches and found something interesting..... alternobaric vertigo. However I am unclear if this is an issue would it happen both on descent and ascent. Also, would there be a delay in onset of symptoms? (as in not during or immediately after ascent/descent) I have no problems with vertigo until after the dive and it does not happens directly /during/after ascent. It is generally about 10-15 minutes after I have finished diving- yesterday about 6minis after (swimming to the shore with no problems until I began to walk back to the shore in thigh deep water but it was precipitated by my looking down to get my fins off for a short amount of time so I tend to think it may indeed have something to do with my inner ear) the 1st time was when I was putting the drops in my ears and that was about 15mins after our last dive-after i had removed all my gear and changed into my dry clothes and was in the car heading home putting drops in. the boat incident, again no problems upon surfacing but only about 10mins after the dive, again after looking down to change over my gear, and then looking up or shifting positions.) So, I am also more inclined to think is an ear issue.

I don't think this is alternobaric vertigo, because that occurs during the period when you are equalizing pressure. I have never heard of it happening during descent, probably because inability to descend is painful enough that most people won't tolerate a significant pressure difference between the two ears.

It has feature of benign positional vertigo, because it seems to correlate with head movement, but why you would only get BPV after diving is not at all obvious. Another possibility would be Meniere's disease, but the diuresis of diving OUGHT to improve that problem.

I don't think you need to talk to DAN, except perhaps for information on a diving-savvy ENT doc in your area. But I think an ENT evaluation is in order.

I empathize -- vertigo is not at all pleasant.

I'd call DAN just to be sure... but you may be getting water in your inner ear and it's screwing with the water that is supposed to be there that keeps your equilibrium in check. ... I used to get this alot when surfing in REALLY rough surf, because water would get shoved in there. Used Swimmer's Ear drops and was fine after a couple of hours once the water worked it's way out.

Hi BuiltLikeABulldog,

As I understand your remark, you used get water forced into your inner ear a lot while surfing. For this to occur, both your eardrum and either you oval window or round window would have to be perforated/ruptured. Now that indeed would be some REALLY, REALLY rough surf. This entrance of water would result in crippling pain & vertigo, some partial hearing loss, possibly tinnitus, and likely followed by infection. And of course the introduction of alcohol (the almost exclusive ingredient in Swimmer's Ear drops & similar products, which, BTW, are meant only for use in the outer ear/external auditory canal), would cause tremendous additional pain & likely damage tissues in the middle & inner ear.

Also, it's my understanding that the fluid in the in the labyrinth of the inner ear is endolymph, a material very much different than water.

Perhaps you could clear this up for me? Here's some ear anatomy graphics to aid in the discussion:

http://www.ent-info.nhs.uk/images/diagram of innermiddleouterear.gif

http://www.riversideonline.com/source/images/slideshow/hdg22_earanatomy.jpg

Thanks,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom