Breaking world records... from the comfort of my car

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freename

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
January 16, 2020 I apparently made 3 'bounce' dives to deeper than 1000 ft - with no deco. It's on my Teric, so it must've happened... right? And I didn't even get bent!

divelog.jpg depth1117.jpg dive519.jpg dive520.jpg

Definitive proof that I now hold the world record for deepest scuba dive in history. Who needs 15 hours deco? Take that, Ahmed.

My question for @Shearwater is, what's the best course of action to take with this computer now? It seems to be functioning at the moment, but I'm a tad concerned that it would just arbitrarily take me for a dive. Admittedly, I was feeling my surface interval had been too long and it was kind enough to let me stay dry... but part of me just... doesn't quite trust it anymore. Is this a 'send back to Shearwater' thing? Or simply a 'pressure test and confirm it still works' deal? Why would it have even brought me on such a dive without the courtesy of even letting me plan it first? I'm not sure it has my safety in mind anymore...

I had that happen to me with a new computer from the factory (not a Shearwater) when I turned it on upon taking it out of the box. I didn’t hesitate to immediately return it. No way am I going to trust a computer that spontaneously takes me on a dry dive, especially one that does it three times.

This actually is a replacement computer for the first one that had a defect... I'm not knocking @Shearwater, they replaced that one without hesitation (it had random lines down the screen). I'm am getting a bit concerned at this point, having had 100% of the Terics I've used turn... creative. I don't think I'm particularly rough on them... the first one had only one dive, this one at least lasted a year (its first dive was Dec. 22, 2018). Maybe I just have bad luck with Terics?

... my Perdix, however, is a gem. :heart:

In any case, I think you're right @NothingClever - I think this computer is going back home. (After I 'log' my dives... there's no way I'm losing my world record!)

Haha well im glad to see it is giving you a high CNS warning.

I had a similar, although not quite as extreme, problem with my first Teric on its first trip. I switched to a back-up and had a new Teric within days after I got home. The bogus depth readings didn't last long, and I noticed them when I started seeing warnings about breaking MOD.

This actually is a replacement computer for the first one that had a defect... I'm not knocking @Shearwater, they replaced that one without hesitation (it had random lines down the screen). I'm am getting a bit concerned at this point, having had 100% of the Terics I've used turn... creative. I don't think I'm particularly rough on them... the first one had only one dive, this one at least lasted a year (its first dive was Dec. 22, 2018). Maybe I just have bad luck with Terics?

... my Perdix, however, is a gem. :heart:

In any case, I think you're right @NothingClever - I think this computer is going back home. (After I 'log' my dives... there's no way I'm losing my world record!)

@freename
Are you my alter ego? I also had a Teric develop random lines after just one day of diving, get replaced by another which lasted a year, then get notified that I'd beaten Ahmed's depth record. You're even a fellow Torontonian. I'm pretty sure that I've only ever owned a Perdix in my dreams though...

In any case, I sent my Teric in for another RMA just over a week ago, and got the replacement the day after. Great customer service from @Shearwater, as per usual. I am a little concerned about how long this one's going to last. Well, they do say that the third time's the charm, so maybe it'll be okay. Alternatively, maybe it's time to buy that Perdix and demote my Teric to a backup computer...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom