Breaking into the world of DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simon-

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been using a Fuji Finepix for a few years and whilst the results with it are (I think), pretty good, starting to get a little frustrated with the limitations of it.

Looking for advice on a sensibly priced entry level DSLR set-up.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

FWIW I went from a Finepix P&S to a mirrorless. Sony NEX5n Its not a current model today, got it about 8 months ago. Lower end DSLRs use a DX sensor. High end uses FX. DX sensors take great pictures. My little Sony has the DX sensor. The mirrorless cameras are much smaller than DSLRs. So I saved on size. I have it in a 10Bar housing with a single strobe and the size is very manageable. For comparision I have 2 DSLRs both Nikon D7000 (dx sensor) and D600 (fx sensor). I use these above water and the little Sony picture quality is close. If you look at some of my past post I have put up pictures in several of them in the photo forum

I went from the Sony Rx100 to using my D7000 underwater. The transition was not difficult because the Nauticam housing's controls and ergos are pretty much perfect. As people move to the D7100 and FX cameras, you can often find the D7000 housings and bodies at reasonable prices.

If you are a Canon guy, and want small and lower cost, with a good result the new SL1 and Ikelite housing may be the ticket.

I think the biggest difference is probably in the lenses. A 105VR micro (macro) vs the RX100's lens is not really a fair comparison, you know? The D7000 focuses faster, but not a night and day difference -- I use a Sola Photo 800 which helps a great deal.

I haven't done much WA with the D7000 yet, but my next trip is to Socorro so I'll get to shoot some big stuff out there for sure.

In my Flikr (link in my sig) you can see albums from Lembeh (D7000) and Bonaire (RX100) if you want to check some of them.

I have been offered a full set-up of with a Nikon D90, housing, domes, ports, lenses, strobes, focus light etc. for around £1800 (equates to approx $3000).

Thoughts?

I have been offered a full set-up of with a Nikon D90, housing, domes, ports, lenses, strobes, focus light etc. for around £1800 (equates to approx $3000).

Thoughts?

Before I could say that's a "good deal," let's get some specifics: what housing? what ports? what lenses? what strobes? what focus light? and so on.

Check out my review of the new Ikelite Canon Rebel SL1 system I shot on Bonaire 2 weeks ago............

Ikelite | Review Canon EOS 100D Rebel SL1

If you're a Canon shooter looking to downsize or add a back up system this is for you...........Any NEW underwater photographer wanting speed and other advantages of a SLR camera should seriously consider this set up.......

Email or call with any questions and of course set up and shooting help comes with each and every Ikelite product :)

Happy diving and shooting!

David Haas
Haas Photography Inc.
4596 Greenlawn Dr.
Stow OH 44224
330-329-5981

[email]davidhaas@sbcglobal.net
[/EMAIL]

www.haasimages.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom