Breaking in the Band

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktgould

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Any suggestions on breaking in a new tank band? I thought about taking it off of the BC and letting it soak over night, rolling it, etc. In its current state, I cant snug it up tight enough to keep the tank from slipping. :depressed:

Wet it good, mount on tank, and tighten as much as you can. Then let it dry on the tank. Repeat if necessary.

They do get friendlier with use but unless yours is extraordinarily stiff it should not need any real preparation.

1. Make sure it's pre-threaded correctly except for the last pass. Most buckles have numbers and arrows to guide you. There are plenty of good looking wrong ways to thread the thing.
2. Get it wet, a splash of water will do or you can dunk the whole backside of the BC
3. Have it on a stout surface where you can brace the cylinder with your knee. A stout bench, low tailgate or getting down on 1 knee works.
4. Get the BC on the cylinder
5. Pull the tail taught to remove the slack.
6. While holding the tip of the tail give it a few karate chops to cinch it.
7. While holding the tip rock the buckle half closed, this will hold it in position.
8. Thread the final pass though
9. Rock it closed
10. Set the Velcro tail

That should do the trick.

Pete

They do get friendlier with use but unless yours is extraordinarily stiff it should not need any real preparation.

1. Make sure it's pre-threaded correctly except for the last pass. Most buckles have numbers and arrows to guide you. There are plenty of good looking wrong ways to thread the thing.
2. Get it wet, a splash of water will do or you can dunk the whole backside of the BC
3. Have it on a stout surface where you can brace the cylinder with your knee. A stout bench, low tailgate or getting down on 1 knee works.
7. While holding the tip rock the buckle half closed, this will hold it in position.
9. Rock it closed
10. Set the Velcro tail

Pete

I followed the "buckle" sequence and it didn't appear to work. Then I checked the manual, and it had exactly the opposite threading instructions (oceanic http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/pdf/12-2008-r08.pdf) The manual looks correct, and I think it will cinch up tight after I get the belt broken in a bit

9. Rock it closed
10. Set the Velcro tail

Pete
On my second "dunking" of the tank band and it seems to be taking hold. Thanks for your help!

When you wet the nylon it expands -- thus if you put it on your tank while dry and then get in the water, you could lose your tank.

Wet the band first so it already expands, then put it on the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom