Breakaway back float for towing dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flspy

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Occasionally I see divers with a breakaway float on a short section of rope that attaches to the back of their rig. This allows them to use their hands while also "holding" the surface dive flag.

It uses cable ties to break away should the main flag get run over by a boater who is not paying attention. It has a small float about three to four feet above the diver.

Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these, and how they are deployed?

Thanks.

Honestly I couldn't recommend this to anyone even with a break away connection it's still a massive hazard.

That said take a 110 O-ring and a bolt snap and thread the ring through the eye so that half is sticking out one side and half the other. Fold it down so the sides are touch and use a cable tie to attach it to your rig. Use that bolt snap to clip your flag rig on, the oring should snap given sufficient force so even if you get entangled you should be able to break it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom