Brands that sell bent corner backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Surprised that I'm having difficulty finding concrete information on this. I've read that having outwards bent corners on the bottom backplate is good so that the plate doesn't dig into your kidneys, however I can't tell which brands offer this and which ones don't.

For example, it looks like HOG doesn't have this feature, but its hard to tell and I can't get any confirmation.

If you own a popular brand backplate, reply here with whether or not it has bent corners :)

Surprised that I'm having difficulty finding concrete information on this. I've read that having outwards bent corners on the bottom backplate is good so that the plate doesn't dig into your kidneys, however I can't tell which brands offer this and which ones don't.

For example, it looks like HOG doesn't have this feature, but its hard to tell and I can't get any confirmation.

If you own a popular brand backplate, reply here with whether or not it has bent corners :)

Not a fan of HOG plates at all, you listed one reason, the other is that their corners are sharp. Another thing you should consider, but you can't see with online pictures, is the angle of the plate. Some force the tanks further away from your back, while others have less bend (and the need for shorter screws).

IMO Halcyon have all the features you're looking for. Very well designed. They also come in CF, aluminum and SS - all bases covered. However, they're very expensive. If you want to save money you'd have to go directly to the stores and see the differences in person. That's what I did.

There's little correlation between price and quality of BP, but in general the more expensive ones are definitely better if you don't have the luxury of having shops nearby with lots of options. If money doesn't matter and you don't want headaches, just buy Halcyon. They're easy to sell online as well if you change your mind in the future.

Freedom plate.
1662315632490.png

1662315674170.png

1662319366361.png

Dive Rite’s XT backplate has rounded corners, specially mentioned to prevent digging in. Might be something to look at.

To address your question, it would not be very expensive to have the bottom corners of a standard doubles backplate custom bent at your local sheet metal shop. That said, it would just be a feeble attempt at turning a primitive design into an ergonomic solution like the Freedom Plate, which is formed into a 3D profile that fits your back.

If a Freedom Contour Plate is not an option (as recommended by @MaxBottomtime) the Blue Reef stainless plate has bent corners. I had one for a while that was purchased for $60 shipped! Mine had a highly polished finish. First-rate manufacturing on the cheap.

Back
Top Bottom