Brand new to everything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knight2k

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, I am a new diver still going through my PADI training. Hopefully I can meet some people here as I want to go to as many places to dive as I can. Also looking for as much advice as I can get and a buddy if I can find one.

I live near Memphis, TN so not much around here short of a few quarries further south. Just had a cruise to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel and went snorkeling, but that is just a tease. I want to go down there and look...so scuba class. :)

So far the classes are a lot of fun, didn't think I would be so relaxed as I thought I would be a little more anxious. Anyway, this is me, I'm an old Marine, and hoping this will be a very fun hobby. :D

Welcome aboard, enjoy your classes. The real learning comes after you're certified. Thanks for your service!

howdy and welcome from south Florida.....good luck in your training.

Hey knight! I'm right close to you in Cordova maybe after I get certified we can go diving somewhere close. I heard of a place in Paducah called Mermet Springs (also the site for my OW Dive). Good luck with everything and from an Army Grunt to a Marine Hooyah!

Welcome to SB knight2k! You are correct, it is a very fun hobby! If you ever find yourself near the upstate of SC, shoot me a PM and we can go do some diving! If you are looking for some trips, we have those too!

It's a wonderful hobby for many people. If you're getting into diving new, a couple of suggestions for popular, budget-friendly places you might want to hit, time of year depending in some cases.

1.) Key Largo, Florida - lots of shallow reef diving, with the option for some deep wreck diving if you get your Advanced OW cert. My trip report.

2.) Cozumel - you'll get swamped with so much choice it may discourage you. Particularly since some people discourage the all-inclusive options as they find better food at independent restaurants. There are many threads on Cozumel hotel, dive op. & food options; I only got 2 dives there on a cruise ship stop. If you want a place to start, you might try the popular Aldora Divers or Living Underwater, which have 120 cf tanks (more air than normal 80 cf tanks, so longer dives).

3.) Bonaire - great for shore diving, driving up & down the coast, but go with a group your 1st time.

Allegiant flies Memphis to Fort Lauderdale direct. There's a TON of diving in Fort Lauderdale, Pompano, Boca and Boynton. You can even drive to Jupiter or the keys with not too much fuss.

Hey, we were all "new to everything" at some point.

Welcome!

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom