Brand New! Awaiting my in-water classes - NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tina5269

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone,
I'm really excited to join the diving community. I just finished the book portion of the NAUI Open water course. I'm waiting to hear from my instructor regarding scheduling my in water work.

I'm going to be renting my equipment at first so I can get a feel for what's out there and because it's just crazy expensive. I was wondering if I should invest in a thin wetsuit because I tend to get chilly in the water if it less than 80. Here in FL it is often good but the minute you get out of the lagoon area it gets cold.

Any other thoughts from you guys would be MOST appreciated.

Christine

Welcome aboard! Where are you most likely to be diving? If you are confident you will be diving a fair amount, then you are going to want your own wetsuit. Both my daughters were very unhappy with what was available for rental suits. ..YMMV..

If your diving primarily in West Palm/Keys, then you might be able to get away with a 3/2mm suit. For either winter diving, or diving our awesome springs, you will wand a 5mm or 6/5mm suit. If you decide to go with the thinner 3/2mm suit, you can also add something like a lavacore hooded vest that will help you stay warm if the water drops below 75*

Hello and welcome! You are in for a fantastic time! It is just so darn beautiful and other worldly down there, I love it!! A wetsuit was my 1st investment on getting my certification. You will probably need to buy a mask, snorkel and fins also. Don't settle for a mask, be sure it fits well and make contact with the sales person to ensure if it does not fit you can exchange it. You might need to try on several types, so be ready to shop around :wink:

Welcome to the Board and diving, it’s like crack but slightly cheaper and not so hard on the teeth...

Good advice from all above, a 3mm full wetsuit is always a sound investment. I always advise my students to get their own mask and wetsuit, spit and pee from strangers is not my idea of a good time...

Remember, it’s all about having fun. If you’re not enjoying yourself, stop and find out why. It’s often something super simple but if you don’t ask you’ll never know.

Hello, Tina:

I completely agree with Rain Pilot: if you plan to dive frequently, best to get a full 3mm suit, even if the water there in FL is generally warm. You probably are like I am: even in tropical waters of 80-83 degrees, at depth I begin to feel cold after about 30 minutes. Also to second Rain Pilot; yes, with your own personal mask that fits your unique facial shape and contours, you will be much more content. It is the most fundamental piece of equipment in my opinion (plus, you can use it for snorkeling and freediving if you so choose).

Welcome to scuba diving! It is a blast. In which part of FL will you be going diving?

Welcome!

I bought my 2.5mm full jumpsuit on eBay for $30 including shipping and I love it. Someone was getting rid of their inventory so I lucked out, but some good deals are out there. For me it's perfect for the tropics but I've seen people in such places as Cozumel with no wetsuit and they don't get cold, and others with a 7mm full suit and hood and booties and they are shivering. If a 2.5mm or 3mm suit isn't quite enough you can always wear a shorty suit under it. I always suggest that people try on a whole bunch of different masks at different places and buy the one they like the best. This particular piece of equipment might be with you for decades so it can be worth spending some money on. I recommend trying different fins too before shelling out over $100 because just because someone else like them that doesn't mean you will.

Welcome and I echo everyone else, go ahead and invest in a 3mil wetsuit. You can always not wear it if you are hot but if you don't have it to put on and get cold then you are hosed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom