Brain tumor and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
So here goes,
I am a certified diver and wanted to introduce the new world to my anxious 15yr old daughter. After we signed up, she was diagnosed with a tumor on the Pituitary gland. This was treated first by a biopsy which was performed by an ENT Doctor who went up the nose and thru the sinus cavity. And that is the main question and consideration? She has had Radiation and Chemo, the subsequent mri's are clear, we would never have known this ever happened unless we had lived it. We have no reason to suspect seizures, although it was mentioned as a 1 in 10,000 chance.We are coming up to a year post surgery. She does however take meds, for Adrenal gland difficiency and DDAVP, which slows down her need to urinate, I would appreciate as much expertise and experience on the subject as possible.
thanks to all in advance
dwayne

You'll get lots of opinions here, but no real expertise, since even if we were medical experts (which most of us are not)we still wouldn't know the fine details of your daughter's condition.

The best way to get a good opinion is to have her doctor consult with the doctors at DAN, (Duke University Medical Center). By having the experts speak doctor-to-doctor, they'll be able to flesh out a meaningful and relevant opinion based on her specific condition and meds and their effects on diving (or vice versa).

Anything else is just smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:
I would second don Francisco sound advice. DAN would really be the source for this. Check their website and I think you will find a number you can call for medical answers although as don mentioned doctor to doctor would be best.

You'll get lots of opinions here, but no real expertise, since even if we were medical experts (which most of are not)we still wouldn't know the fine details of your daughter's condition.

The best way to get a good opinion is to have her doctor consult with the doctors at DAN, (Duke University Medical Center). By having the experts speak doctor-to-doctor, they'll be able to flesh out a meaningful and relevant opinion based on her specific condition and meds and their effects on diving (or vice versa).

Anything else is just smoke and mirrors.

While I agree that DAN may be the most authoritative place to look, recent articles in DAN's magazine lead me to question if they ever answer a question with any clarity. I think they've become afraid to offer hard answers for fear of liability.

The best thing to do is likely contact DAN and ask for a Diving Doctor referral in your area who specializes in the type of medicine associated with your daughters condition.

This person, once having seen your daughter is more likely to give clear cut answers you can feel good about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom