Brain teaser...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFreak

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Give it a shot... :wink: This should keep some of you occupied for a while...

Teaser 1:
In front of you, there are 9 coins. They all look absolutely identical, but one of the coins is fake. However, you know that the fake coin is lighter than the rest, and in front of you is a balance scale. What is the least number of weighings you can use to find the counterfeit coin?

Teaser 2:
The more there is the less you see.

What is it?

Teaser2 - Cataracts

nope to both answers- but good guess on the cataracts one...keep goin

and what about the cataracts?

Teaser 2 - Darkness?

you guys are good...

Teaser 2 is indeed Darkness...

And teaser 1 is Two!
First, divide the coins into 3 equal piles. Place a pile on each side of the scale, leaving the remaining pile of 3 coins off the scale. If the scale doesn't tip, you know that the 6 coins on the scale are legitimate, and the counterfeit is in the pile in front of you. If the scale does tip, you know the counterfeit is in the pile on the side of the scale that raised up. Either way, put the 6 legitimate coins aside. Having only 3 coins left, put a coin on each side of the scale, leaving the third in front of you. The same process of elimination will find the counterfeit coin.

Ok another one then...

I am always hungry,
I must always be fed,
The finger I lick
Will soon turn red

ScubaFreak:
Ok another one then...

I am always hungry,
I must always be fed,
The finger I lick
Will soon turn red
My cat.