BP/W - why I should use a weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t use a weight belt, I have ditchable weight (about 1/2) on the rig waist belt and use my own H harness to support the weight, try different things and see what works best for you.

I have two trim pockets on my upper tank band and two more on the waist belt(which I can pop the weights out of if I have to). No need for a separate weight belt and one less thing to put on in a crowded panga. It makes me cringe when I see divers riding sitting on the edge of the pangas with their weight belts on, but no BC.

diving dry about 90% of the time, with SS backplate and heavy steel doubles I don't need any more weight, possibly a buttweight depending on tanks.. the rest of the time is either super casual skin/rashy with alu, then just the steel backplate is enough, with 5mm/single alu I would add 1-2 kg max in camband pockets
regarding crotch strap..always

Warm water diving

I put 6 pounds on my upper cam band. That helps me maintain a slightly head-down trim position, keeps my feet away from the reef, and makes it easier for photography.

If I need any more weight, it goes on my belt, under the crotch strap.

For warm water diving I use properly sized back plates and that is all. I have both a 10# and a 5# plate. I use the 10# plate with my 5mm wetsuit and the 5# plate with my 3mm wetsuit. Most all of my dives are with an HP steel 100 single. If diving an AL80 I use my 10# plate with my 3mm wetsuit. I don't dive an AL80 with my 5mm wetsuit.

If diving dry I add a DUI weight harness along with my 10# plate and a steel tank for the additional ballast required.

Bottom line is that if you need additional ballast beyond the plate in order to have a balanced rig I find that adding it to the cam bands is a PITA for the reasons others have mentioned. A weight harness worn under the backplate harness does the trick. A weight belt works as well but I prefer a weight harness.

Back
Top Bottom