BP/W setup during Divemaster training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midge907

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tommorow I am going into my LDS to do my written test for Rescue, so that I will finally be finished with the course. However when I am there I am going to ask about doing my divemaster canidate training while using my DRIS BP/W setup. My LDS almost freaked when I told them that I got a BP/W as they have a closed mind to them (they dont sell them), and they think they are for Tec divers not recreational. Any guesses on what response I will get from them, and any kind of rebutal I can give. I do have a Knighthawk BCD, however I think the BP/W is superior in bouyancy control, and ease of use. I am willing to use both if needed, but do believe that OW students should be exposed to different gear, and I am seeing lots of BP/W's on charter boats.
I have already helped with two classes (1 pool, and 1 drysuit) and I know that it confuses some students, but that doesnt mean that is a bad thing. Bad part in the pool was the lack of any weights, which is another reason why I love it so much in warm water. Lack of 20 buckles (Releases) also baffles them, lol. So wish me luck, and if you have any opinions pass them on, just be nice :) I already read the two other threads loaded with BP/W vs. BCD while doing DM canidacy, but wanted to re touch the subject.

they have a closed mind to them
How about your mind?

If you're interested in convincing them then I'm sure people will be along shortly with 1000 arguments why you should get your way.

My advice to you is that if you're going to become a DM or an instructor then you're going to need to learn how to keep an open mind yourself. Some shops (like the one you mention) will want to have you in gear similar to what the students are learning in. Like you said, it's less confusing for them. The shop will also want this because students will buy what they see their trainers using.

Other shops won't care.

As far as teaching goes, I'm like you. I think the more exposure students get the better. As an instructor I wouldn't have any problem working with a DM who used a bp/w for the open water dives. However, in the pool I would want him/her in whatever the students were using (or similar) in case I needed the DM to drill or demonstrate something for them. It's kind of hard to play "monkey-see-monkey-do" when you have to explain to students that what you're demonstrating isn't going to work for them and they have to do something completely different. Think, for example about demonstrating removing and replacing the kit on the surface.

I would say keep the knighthawk because you'll need it at least some of the time.

R..

I use the Knighthawk and the DSS BP/W. I use them both without issues.

Since I teach pool in a jacket the first night and BPW or Zeagle Express Tech for all following sessions I'd love to have the DM in a BPW if I needed one. But then I work with a shop, not for one, that sells all types. They are not closed to the idea of different gear. In fact the owner is working on sidemount. Buit then I teach classes according to my views, not the shop's. And I teach at a shop that does not require me to be in gear they sell. They only ask I give them the opportunity to sell to my students which is fine. That means I don't need to carry a big line of personal gear.

Since I teach pool in a jacket the first night and BPW or Zeagle Express Tech for all following sessions

Do your students change too? Do you also change to a long-hose?

Seems to me that your goal is to use your demos to get students to be familiar with *their* gear (not yours). The quickest and easiest way I know to do that is to wear what the students have (or similar) so when they watch me demonstrate the skills it's like looking in a mirror for them. I guess there are other ways but if the gear is far different than what they're wearing then I think the learning will go slower.

Skills where I think issues could arise would be
- teaching AAS handoff protocol in a long-hose when students are in a standard config
- teaching various don/doff procedures. For example, teaching weightbelt on/off if all you have is integrated weights or teaching doff on the surface with gear that doesn't have any releases.
- teaching buoyancy control with a traditional inflator if your BCD has one of those horrible I3 inflators

There may be others but those would be the main ones I for which I would consider it essential to have gear similar to the students.

R..

How about your mind?

I like to think I have a open mind, would like to use both. My LDS uses Scuba Pro Glide jackets as student BCD's, and the instructors usually wear them also. Other then my first day in the pool myself, I have never used a Jacket. Even when I did my Discover Scuba in Roatan a couple years back I was in a Back Inflate. I do know that carrying extra weight on me to give to students if needed will be easier achieved while using my KnightHawk, however its no big deal to carry a few weights in a accesory pocket on my BP/W. I am trying to get my LDS to start carrying BP/W, but they tend to keep with the ScubaPro gear, and even they know that the ScubaPro BP/W gear is expensive compared to the competition. I would like to see them become a OxyChec(sp?), DiveRite, Hollis, or similar dealer, but they think that the new ScubaPro travel BCD is the answer, which I completely understand the market for, but dont think that its a good comparison.

At the pool I just use the shop's gear. Logically it would seem simpler for the students that we all have the same stuff. They have enough to absorb doing the whole pool time in 2 days. At the checkout dives I wear my own BC (different brand), my weight belt suspenders and my bio tank lock. By this time students are pretty familiar with their BCs and other stuff. At this point it seems OK to talk with them about differing equipment.

my shop uses jackets for rentals and they want the DM's in that for OW and really rescue (since it makes it easier for them) AOW was BP/w although with a cludge setup (no long hose and normal Octo). If them is the rules i'll go jacket for that stuff, I don't like it but its not my shop or rules. After I finish we'll see I kinda by the argument for OW due to the demo's involved but after that I don't. I do believe students need the exposure to the breath of systems out there. Rescue is easier in a jacket due to all the clips, if you don't know what your doing in a BP/w its a pita and they are focused on just finishing it. I personally would like to see it in a BP/w but that's bc I dive one regularly. good luck and let us know how the conversation goes.

I use a jacket and a modified bungied backup reg system (octo length primary hose, bungied backup) in the pool. I do this at the request of the shop owner, because I sometimes demonstrate skills, and he thinks it's good to be in the same gear the students use. I get away with the bungied backup because a lot of students buy Air2s . . . Peter has an Air2 on his pool BC, and that passes muster.

In OW, I don't demonstrate anything, so I dive my own gear. I find it quite interesting that I've had one student in all the time we've been teaching even recognize that what I was diving was different . . . and that student was someone who had been certified in the past.

If you work through a shop, you are going to have to deal with shop rules. You may not like them, but they have a right to their policies.

Back
Top Bottom