BP/W parts ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ive looked at all my normal sources and have not found what Im looking for. I am putting together a super light weight travel BP/W and I need an AL STA and tank straps that are all velcro or have lightweight or plastic buckles.
I had to use rental gear for the last trip due to weight and it just sucked!
Any help out there?
Thanks!

I've seen the small steel STA that's just a couple of brackets, one under each bolt. It can't weigh more than a lb or two. Try hammerhead for that. There are lots of plastic buckle cam straps around; I use them and they're fine. Dive rite express has them.

A while back, kidspot (on this forum) built a light STA out of PVC tube and posted some photos on his website.

Thanks, I ask him. He is the master of DIC (do it cheap!)

Look up FredT for an aluminum STA, or I could make 1 for about $80 in my shop (I know spendy but my boss makes the prices). Dive rite has tank straps for cheap and the metal scubapro type are the nicest and weigh hardly anything.

I will be traveling with a 9lb stainless plate, STA, and 2 wings and have not exceeded weight restrictions for my carry on with that. just thought I would let you know.

I think Oxycheq has the small steel brackets. The shouldn't weigh more than a pound or so. Check their web site, or I saw them at Scubatoys the other day also. I second the Scubapro tank straps.

Link to Oxycheq: singletankadaptor

Tobin at DSS recently posted pictures of a light weight SS STA with integrated cam bands. I looked around but can't find them now. I think it is a product he's developing. Aside from the light weight an advantage was that it'd allow you to mount the tank lower than with usual STAs.

Contact Tobin and see if he's got them ready for sale yet.

Henrik

That's a nice looking piece of gear by Tobin! Bet it costs a little more than $30 but probably well worth it.

Is there a reason why you're not looking at eliminating the STA all together and going with a BP/W that permits using the cam-straps directly attached to the plate? This would eliminate the weight of the STA and bolts altogether... Tobin's Kydex BP seems like it would fit the bill here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom