BP/W interchangeability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're the fxrguy. Do you have eleven inches, b/w bolts?

Any doubles wing will fit any plate.
Most singles wings will fit most plates.

So how interchangeable are the different manufacturers gear as far as back plates, wings and harnesses are concerned?

For doubles, almost any plate can be used with almost any doubles wing.

All that is required is one pair of holes in the wing and plate at 11" centers.

For singles the picture is more complex.

If a STA (single tank adapter) is used then it's pretty much the same as doubles, i.e. any wing wing with any plate.

If one wants to avoid using a STA, and there are good arguments for not using a STA it is possible to have plate and wings that are not compatible, or are "sort of" compatible.

Keep in mind that most brands of plates have seen several revisions. (Some plates don't even have camband slots) If one diver reports that they used XX plate with YY wing that does not mean that all versions of XX plate works perfectly with all versions of YY wings.

My advice is if you wish to direct mount (no STA) a single tank to a BP&W it's best to source the wing and the plate from a single source.

Tobin

What Tobin said. I have an aluminum plate that has no camband slots. Plates were, after all, developed originally for diving doubles. If you want a plate and wing combination that's optimized for single tank diving, you really ought to be looking at the companies that make dedicated single tank rigs.

Thanks for the feedback. At this point in my re-immersion back into the sport, all good info helps. I will probably want to speak to Tobin before making a decision as I get, and see, a lot of feedback from him on many of these threads. Very involved guy!

I once ran into a problem with a Halcyon plate and an Oxycheq doubles wing. The plate has the bottom corners bent back a little, and they hit the zipper on the wing.

I once ran into a problem with a Halcyon plate and an Oxycheq doubles wing. The plate has the bottom corners bent back a little, and they hit the zipper on the wing.

Boy I am glad you survived that near zipper experiance!:D
Did it cause damage to the plate? Damage to the zipper? Was the rig un-diveable?

Really these are just parts and parts. If they fit together and you can dive, objective achieved. There is a trend moving toward way to much focus on equipment and not on fun or skills or just plain old diving.
Eric

NOTE: I am not a tech diver I have just been doing a lot of research on BP/W. I have found that most a wings will work with all BP's it is just a matter of setup/break down that will help make the choice. Some Wings only have the holes to be bolted to the BP with NO camband slots leaving you with only the option of using a STA(most of these are DOUBLE wings but have seen a few SINGLEs this way). This option will leave you unbolting the the STA everytime to get the Wing off the BP for cleaning and storage.

Other Wings give you just camband slots which can be nice because you dont need the use of an STA but it leaves you with threading the camband through the wing everytime you want to remove it. along with the bolts to the back plate. And most likely unthreading the buckles on the cambands just to be able to pull it through the wing.

Another style which not having used it but looks to be my favorite just because of it's simple user friendly design would be the Wings with the large openings in the center which allows you to fold ANY style of cam bands through the center. No bolts No weaving No nothing just simple. Plus to boot the wings comes off the BP in 4seconds. You can find this style at DSS
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom