Wanted BP/W for little bro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

passedoutwookie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks, I'm on the hunt to get my little brother a good entry level bp/w setup as he completes his open water cert. Currently, I have a HOG stainless bp with a basic webbing. I'm thinking that I might like to upgrade my harness and try a lighter bp since I just switched to hp100s from my 80s, so I will likely purchase a new setup for myself and then pass my rig (minus my halcyon wing down to him.

So, all that said, I'm in the market for a wing for him, sta, cam bands, aluminum or light steel backplate, and a harness that's a step above standard webbing. We are both about 6 feet tall and 165lbs, so long and lanky. What's out there?

What about the dive rite stainless lite plate? Certainly lighter than my current one.

Last edited:
why do you want a lighter plate and a harness that is a "step above" what you currently have? Do you not need the ballast that the plate provides anymore? Even with a HP100, if you are in a wetsuit in salt water you likely need it anyway...

regarding the harness, what are you not getting with the one piece harness that you think you will get with another?

If I were you, I would contact DSS and talk to Tobin and purchase one of the setups from him unless you are bound to the blue H

If you need to go lighter, then consider ditching the STA first (unless your wing requires one - which would be my reason to replace it, but that is just me). There are at least 4 wings I know of (likely many more) with integral "roll control" - HOG, Deep6, DSS, & OxyCheq. Two of the four can be had fairly economically. The other two are excellent too, cost a little more, but still are below the "H-Tax". I don't know how much weight you save with the skeletonized plate, but if you are stuck using a STA, perhaps....

Thanks for the replies! I was thinking I'd like to try lightening up because I've felt a little heavy since I moved to the hp100s. I dive mostly with a 3mm, but sometimes 7mm or no wetsuit.

I was interested in trying a cinch strap setup and maybe some padding on the shoulder straps. Cinch strap seems like a good way to get a good fit regardless of what I'm wearing. Shoulder pads would be nice when I'm not wearing a wetsuit. The transplate harnesses seem nice.

As for the wing I'm interested in any of the brands you mentioned. Just need to find him something at a good price so he can get the most for his money.

remember that the cinch straps are not going to fix the placement of the shoulder or hip d-rings which is going to change. I would set the d-rings for the 3mm suit and adjust accordingly. The shoulder pads are nice when diving without a wetsuit, but you can put neoprene sleeves on for ~$10 and call it a day.

Transplate is universal and is quite nice if you are hiking around with your rig on most of the time, but if you aren't, then it isn't worth spending the money on since it doesn't dive any better in the water. The neoprene sleeves work better in the water than the big shoulder pads in my experience and are quite inexpensive.
Dive Rite Shoulder Pads, Set of Two
OMS Neoprene Shoulder Pads, Pair

best bang for your buck is getting a deep sea supply complete rig. All in it's just under $500 and is going to be the highest quality with most features for your money vs any other rig on the market.

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
If you're strapped for cash and/or want the thing that is closest to a Halcyon Eclipse system without paying the idiotic fees for the blue H, then that rig is also quite good. It does require a STA, and the aluminum plates are nowhere near as nice as the kydex plates, but it's a very high quality rig and about $100 cheaper than DSS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom