Trip Report Boynton Beach - 4/19/2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Starfish 2-tanker
Monday 10 am - 2 pm
Only 5 people total on the boat! I had the privilege to meet and dive with @DavidFL. It was a pleasure meeting, hanging out with and diving with David!
The only two others on the boat besides Capt. Chris were Instructor Ren and his DM-student Maddy (sp?). Everyone conscientiously observed the Coast Guard COVID guidelines and with only 5 people we were rarely within 6' of each other!

Seas were sportier than Sat-Sun. The forecasted southwest winds were actually south. It was also starting to get a bit rainy. We had 2-3' with a few 4s thrown in. Current was average for Boynton. Maybe 2 knots on the Castor and 1 knot or so on the reef. The top 30' or so was both warmer (77-78) and moving along faster than the current at depth. Temps were 74 (min) on the Castor and 76 on the reef. Viz was maybe 40-50'.

Dive 1: We were able to hot drop the Castor which was great because the current was moving pretty good. This way we could easily do both the bow and the stern. There was a huge school of jack and 3 Goliath Grouper on the stern. There were a smattering of barracuda as well.

Dive 2: Lynn's Reef. This is such a wide, beautiful reef! We were able to meander east to west and then back east seeing much of the reef. We saw many of the usual tropicals. We also saw a loggerhead turtle near the end of our dive. I also made friends with a scrawled filefish. It started following me on the reef and actually followed me part way up on our ascent!

Here are a couple of short clips:

@DavidFL getting lined up for the perfect shot. Looking good!

E185F061-CDCC-422D-9CC2-BC877528708B.jpeg

Jim's clip is a much better rendition of his stalker/shadow filefish than what I got, but I did get a lot of the color of life encrusted on the rails of the Castor bow.
Casstor Bow bright yellow encrusted deck rail resized.JPG

Was great to meet and dive with @JimBlay, and even better to have essentially a private charter on Starfish!

Three railings on the Castor covered in life.JPG

Thnx for the report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom