Boy Dies Of Dry Drowning After Leaving Pool And Walking Home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Britt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Boy Dies Of Dry Drowning After Leaving Pool And Walking Home

I just read this this morning and thought it was worth posting here. Something about this story just seemed to make me think a little harder.

Just a reminder to the divers that near drowning, dry drowning, etc. are very real and something that people should look out for.

Wow! I'd never heard of that. Thanks for putting it up.

What is that called that causes drowning when you inhale just a little bit of saltwater? It's rare but it can happen. I saw the story about the boy and in the TV interview they said it happens, usually more in saltwater but it can happen in fresh. Anyone? Buehler? Anyone?

the way that was explained to me long ago, and was part of my dm training about 40 yrs ago (wow, has training changed). salt water enters the lungs, then is coughed and spat out. but residual salt from the water remains in the lungs. with that said, can you remember from biology class that thing call OSMOSIS? the salt residue in the lungs is now greater than the natural salt content of the body fluid. fluid now are moved to the lungs by way of osmosis, try to reach an equalibrium in salinity. thus, the lungs fill with body fluids, affixiating the victum and death comes quickly. in fresh water secondary drownings, much the same happens. generally water in the lungs is expelled. If this doesn't happen, the water remaining in the lungs is a lower level salinity than the body fluids. once again body fluids tranfer thru the walls of the lungs trying to add the salt required to reach an equalibrium in salinity. more rare than with salt water...just as deadly. hope this helps. was given to me in about 1970 in a padi dm coarse. may not be true but sounds good anyway

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom