Bowman Bay diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alecto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone ever dived Bowman Bay near Deception Pass? It's right around the corner from the pass. I've gone crabbing off of the dock as well as kayaking from there but was thinking about giving diving a go from that location. Entry looked extremely easy and the bay looks protected from any currents or surges.

I know it is diveable, but is there anything to see? I'm thinking I'll see kelp and some crabs. May even get myself a crabbing license and grab one while I'm down there. But any advice or things of interest? Concern about boat traffic? Diving in the northwest in general? I normally dive in socal.

Has anyone ever dived Bowman Bay near Deception Pass? It's right around the corner from the pass. I've gone crabbing off of the dock as well as kayaking from there but was thinking about giving diving a go from that location. Entry looked extremely easy and the bay looks protected from any currents or surges.

I know it is diveable, but is there anything to see? I'm thinking I'll see kelp and some crabs. May even get myself a crabbing license and grab one while I'm down there. But any advice or things of interest? Concern about boat traffic? Diving in the northwest in general? I normally dive in socal.

Have you seen this: The Perfect Dive : Coffin Rocks - , Washington - USA: Pacific Northwest

I was too scared to dive the Coffin Rocks by myself so I stuck to the area around the pier at Bowman Bay. The viz was about 10 ft and 51 degrees. Did two dives on different days with the same conditions. Caught 2 dungeness crabs and saw a bunch of them. Most were too small and a couple big ones were very skittish and ran as soon as I saw them.

Saw my first nudibranch and a large halibut that scared the both of us. I saw eyes hidden in the sand and thought he was a crab. He was not. The pier had some pretty nifty anemones growing on it as well.

I'm sure if I had ventured further towards the rocks I would have found some more large crabs and other treasures but I didn't want to go deeper than about 15 ft.

All in all, I had a great time on both dives. Very easy entry, different stuff around the pier and caught myself a nice dinner. Don't forget to pick up a crabbing license though! :)

Back
Top Bottom