Bov or dsv JJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sebdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Did anyone switch the dsv to a bov on their JJ before training? Curious to see which one did you install the iqsub Divedot?
Or just stick to dsv!

I added the Divesoft BOV (no extra levers), I think it is superior to having a necklace regulator. Less clutter, easy operation, no mouthpiece switch, etc etc.

With the BOV a prudent switch to safe OC gas is likely to happen sooner and more easily, because it is so effortless, no loose hoses to repack etc.

I still also have a separate stage regulator on the bailout cylinder, for me or others.

With QC6 connectors on short regulator hoses you can easily plug the BOV to the offboard bailout, or to onboard initially.

Also added a simple mouthpiece retaining strap
XS Scuba Universal X-Strap Scuba Dive Mask Strap https://a.co/d/5BLwxJN

Drygloves, currents, DPVs, cameras, etc etc yes give me the fastest and easiest thing to operate (BOV)

Generic answer…

Use a DSV for the first 100 hours/whatever. This forces you to repeatedly practice bailing out to a standard regulator, i.e. refine best diving practice.

BOVs are heavier and bulkier than DSVs and add an additional hose to your loop that restricts your loop movement as you move your head from side to side. They add complexity and you still need an independent regulator for bailing out should the BOV fail (mouthpiece, valve, reg).

My experience was that I added a BOV (to a Revo) following a caustic cocktail bailout which I dived for a year but have returned to a DSV with a necklaced longhose. This, I find, is far more comfortable, is less bulky, less restrictive and I know there’s a high performance reliable regulator under my chin that breathes well at all depths.

There's no good or bad soulution as far as I'am concerned. I use a BOV connected to my bailout with QC6 and am happy with it.

In case of a CO2 hit, had one recently, switching is really easy compared to having to switch to a necklaced regulator. When hyperventilating, it not so easy to take your DSV out of your mouth and switch to the reg. Also, when diving in a mixed team, you have a spare reg for your teammate.

The downside is bulkier and heavier config and more complex with more hoses. Jaw fatigue is an issue when scootering.

There is also a question of what do you plumb into your BOV and whether you use a gag strap (probably a good idea with a BOV, probably a meh idea with a DSV).

If you plumb your dil into the BOV, you could easily go hypoxic on the surface once you start diving trimix - for various reasons it’s not uncommon to end up with a pretty hypoxic dil. Less of an issue if you plumb in off board deep bailout unless you dive below 70ish meters where you need to go below 18% O2.

I’m using a DSV but I’m not sure it’s the best solution - and not sure a BOV is a great solution either, different pros and cons.

Hypoxic bailouts are a concern, but it does not only affect BOVs.

Anyone diving OC twinsets or the GUE/DIR 'heavy' CCR config has a load of hypoxic dilout on their back, with no less than two hypoxic regulators near the mouth at all times (the necklace reg and the 'long hose')

Back to BOVs, seems quite easy to add a QC6 for plugging to normoxic bailout if you want BOV travel gas.

Simpler is a valve protocol on the deep bailout--closed until ~10 metres S drill test (instead of 6 metres), open below. Close the deep bailout valve on ascent during one of the deco stops. The other bailouts are available via stage regs.

Not sure if the non-BOV people are closing their hypoxics when shallow, or how exactly they are managing that risk.

OP listed "for training" - you get a DSV with the JJ - start with that.
since I do use a BOV on my JJ:

1. Shrimp - awesome bayonet connectors, bad WOB w/o enough helium, easy to service.
BUT - I have a large nose - it kept hitting my mask all the time hence:
2. Divesoft - expensive, terrible HUD holder, IMHO better WOB compared to the shrimp.
AND - it doesn't hit my nose - so I'm using that.

I connect my BOV to my bailout cylinder for a breathable gas.

I agree with comments above me - the BOV main advantage for me is during a CO2 issue. IMHO all other issues do not require a BOV.

Matan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom