Bought any pottery lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
About three years ago, I bought pottery from a guy in a village on the road to Coba. His name is Alfredo Gonzales Castillo. I spent about an hour with him looking at his wares and listening to his storys about some of the digs he had been on and all of the Pre Columbian artifacts he had found at Mayan,Toltec and Aztec sites over the last 40 years plus. He makes exact replicas of some of the more interesting pieces he has found over the years.

I was wondering if anyone has been down that road recently and is he still selling his pottery? I will be in Cozumel next week and I intend to visit with Alfredo and buy some more of his stuff. Thanks in advance.

I will be in Cozumel tomorrow, Aug. 4th. and will visit the potter probably on friday. When I get back, I will post here again letting those of you who are interested know if he is still in business. I have bought from him before.He makes replicas of Pre-Columbian Mayan pottery that is extraordinary.

sign outside Gonzalez.jpg

Alfredo Gonzalez.jpg

I love Alfredo! EVERYONE should have a souvenier from his shop!!! Ok, anyone interested in the Maya that is :D

I have several of his works and cherish them as some of my favorite things from Mexico. It's been a few years since I've been by to see him, but I was freaking out his assistant last time I was in there because I was reading some of the glyphs. "Oh, your a Mayanist!" he said...first time anyone has ever accused me of being a scientist!! :D

I think he is still in business, I've been recommending folks visit him for years and still do any chance I get.

From what I remember an SB'er took me up on it sometime with in the past year.

p.s. green with envy...have a great trip!!!

I love Alfredo! EVERYONE should have a souvenier from his shop!!! Ok, anyone interested in the Maya that is :D

I have several of his works and cherish them as some of my favorite things from Mexico. It's been a few years since I've been by to see him, but I was freaking out his assistant last time I was in there because I was reading some of the glyphs. "Oh, your a Mayanist!" he said...first time anyone has ever accused me of being a scientist!! :D

I think he is still in business, I've been recommending folks visit him for years and still do any chance I get.

From what I remember an SB'er took me up on it sometime with in the past year.

p.s. green with envy...have a great trip!!!

Thanks Sharkey. Really appreciate the response. Agree with you 100% about the mans artwork. I think it may be worth something some day though that is not why I am buying it. Just being honest. Elizabeth and I would love to meet up with you guys some day. Til that day.

Patrick

Sounds good, hopefully our Coz trips will cross sometime.

Lore and I would love to buy one of his full sized stelle and put it up in our back yard. Can't imagine what shipping that thing home would cost.

Do you think the carvings incorporated into the wall in front of the condos that are next to the Cozumel Princess, (Plaza las Glorias to us old folks), are his? It sure looks like his work.

Not only is it cheaper to buy directly from the artist, but it is fun to hear them tell you how they made something. I bought a carving of the ball court and never saw anything else like it. He showed me the picture he used to lay out the carving, then carved his name into the work in front of me. Pretty cool stuff.

Sounds good, hopefully our Coz trips will cross sometime.

Lore and I would love to buy one of his full sized stelle and put it up in our back yard. Can't imagine what shipping that thing home would cost.

Do you think the carvings incorporated into the wall in front of the condos that are next to the Cozumel Princess, (Plaza las Glorias to us old folks), are his? It sure looks like his work.

Sadly, we are back. But I am happy to report that Alfredo Gonzalez is still there and still in business. I bought three pieces from him and I will post pics of them and the other 2 pieces I bought the last time I was there. He seems to have scaled back a little and he is looking kinda frail. The number of pieces to choose from has diminished considerably and they are all located in the smaller house out front rather than in the larger shed toward the back.

Getting a stella back would be a huge undertaking and I wish you luck. And yes, I do think that the carvings you mention look an awful lot like his work. I would encourage those that may be interested in his pottery to go see him soon as I fear his health may be failing.

Attachments

• Alfredo 2009.jpg
    Alfredo 2009.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 46
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom