Bought a used (old) Oceanic VT Pro wireless computer. Lost tank pressure reading temporarily.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
EDIT: Sorry mods, please move to the appropriate subsection.

The transmitter is mounted on the same side as the wrist computer. Both have completely fresh batteries.

I was down between 10-20 feet catching crabs and the computer started beeping and reading 0 psi. A second ago it was 1500 psi so I wasn't worried, but annoyed. It continued to read 0 psi for 5-10 minutes, and went in and out during this time as well.

Is this a common issue with wireless computers, or only because this is an old model? Is there anything I can do to make the connection more reliable, besides buying a separate pressure gauge?

Last edited:
Mine will do this in the pool sometimes, I think the waves bounce off the walls and throw it off. Never happened in the open ocean to me. Mine is brand new this year, watch and transmitter.

Is it possible you were in between some coral when this happened?

Mine will do this in the pool sometimes, I think the waves bounce off the walls and throw it off. Never happened in the open ocean to me. Mine is brand new this year, watch and transmitter.

Is it possible you were in between some coral when this happened?

No, no coral. I was along the pylons of a pier though. But the signal transmission is only between the transmitter on the first stage and my wrist.

my vt pro does lose the link sometimes but usually recovers much quicker, after about 10 to 15 sec usually. newer vt4 doesn't have as much a problem.

I was along the pylons of a pier though. But the signal transmission is only between the transmitter on the first stage and my wrist.

Yea I think its reverberation.

I don't know a lot about Dive Computers, but I do know a lot about transmitters and receivers. Over time electronic components can change value and as such can change the frequency they are tuned to. If even a "few" Hertz (frequency measurement) difference can change the efficiency between the transmitter and receiver. If you have access to another transmitter or have a friend that you can swap transmitters on a dive (use a backup SPG), you can troubleshoot for this problem. If you lose air pressure reading again, then the receiver is "weak". If your buddy loses signal, then the transmitter is off frequency (probably). If you BOTH lose signal, then both the receiver AND the transmitter are probably aged. They may be re-aligned or not. You would have to refer to the manufacturer. If the transmitter is off, then the easiest answer is get a new transmitter. If they work on the surface and when they are very close to each other, then the signal strength is probably high enough to overcome the inefficiency and air is a better EMF medium than water.
The best answer is contact Huish to see if they will re-align the transmitter (EDIT: and/or the receiver). If you have a spectrum analyzer you can check exactly what the frequency is. If you have a signal generator, you can tell what frequency the receiver is receiving on.

Just my $.02
Cheers - Michael

Back
Top Bottom