Books on History of Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

I think it would be useful to recommend a few books on the history of diving for interested divers.

Thank you.

I'll get it started since there are no replies so far:
  1. MAN AND THE UNDERWATER WORLD by Pierre de Latil and Jean Rivoire. Translated from the French by Edward Fitzgerald
  2. 20,000 JOBS UNDER THE SEA by Torrence R. Parker
  3. DIVING PIONEERS - An Oral History of Diving in America by Eric Hanauer
  4. EARLY DIVERS: UNDERWATER ADVENTURES IN THE 17TH AND 18TH CENTURIES by Zélide Cowan
  5. EXPLORERS OF THE DEEP by Bohumil Kolar and Oldrich Unger
  6. MAN EXPLORES THE SEA by James Dugan
  7. MEN UNDER THE SEA by Egon Larsen
  8. PREPARE TO DIVE! THE STORY OF MAN UNDERSEA by Jack Coggins
  9. THE HISTORY OF SCUBA GEAR by Captain Fred Calhoun
  10. THE WORLD BENEATH THE WAVES by Gilbert Doukan. Translated by A. and R.M. Case
  11. DIVING PIONEERS AND INNOVATORS by Bret Gilliam
Hope you all like this.

Edit typo by request

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends what you mean by the history of diving. When I read your original message, I thought you meant modern books tracing the evolution of diving over decades or centuries. Now I see you include books published, say, during the mid twentieth century and discussing the state of diving at that time.

I am going to concentrate in this posting on published reading lists of historical diving literature. I'll begin with a paperback book that I have on my bookshelf:
Collins.jpg

Stephen W. Collins (compiler) (1973) Down to the sea with books: NAUI International Bibliography of Diving and Related Sciences, Colton, CA: NAUI Diving Association. Here's an image of the front cover:
"Down to the sea with books" is not only valuable because of the breadth of its content, but also because of the way it breaks its collection of titles into thematic sections, or "topics". Here are the headings in the "topics" section of this bibliography:

Aquatic life
Cave Diving
Commercial diving: underwater work and salvage
Diving equipment and maintenance
Diving for treasure
Diving medicine and physiology
First aid, life saving, scuba rescue and water safety
Legal aspects of diving and maritime law
Limnology
Marine biology and marine life
Marine sciences and technology
Oceanography
Scientific and research diving
Shell collecting and aquariums
Sound - underwater
Sports diving and underwater education
Underwater adventure and exploration
Underwater archeology
Underwater instruction: swimming, skin and scuba diving
Underwater navigation and search procedure
Underwater photography
Underwater submersibles and habitats

There's some overlap in the coverage of the topics, e.g. "Sports diving and underwater education" and "Underwater instruction: swimming, skin and scuba diving", but book titles only appear once, so there's some subjectivity in the choice of "topics".

Two further bibliographies of historical diving literature:
1. 1. Shilling, Charles Wesley and Werts, Margaret F. (1971) An Annotated Bibliography on Diving and Submarine Medicine, New York, NY: Gordon and Breach.
This tome focuses on the medical side of diving. If you want a preview, follow the link http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...AactoDQDg&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false.
2. Saggio di bibliografia sulla caccia subacquea: testi in lingua inglese, http://www.morgansub.com/Morgansub/Biblioteca_del_mare-Libri_Caccia_subaquea_Stranieri_files/SAGGIO DI BIBLIOGRAFIA SULLA CACCIA SUBACQUEA INGLESI AGG. 16-07-12 .pdf.
The title may be in Italian, but the books and articles listed are all in English. This document is interesting because it lists titles in chronological order, so you can see the order in which they were written. From my British perspective, I'm pleased to note that "written in English" also means titles published outside the USA!

I may later return with a list of my own favourite titles from the history of British diving.

Thank you for your replies. I would like to make a list that focused on the history of diving.

You would probably want to acquire as a base

Deep diving and Submarine operations
Sir Robert Davis
Many editions - last published 20 years or so ago
2 volumes, hard back, jacket set

The Compleat Goggler

Guy Gilpatric 1938
(all free diving and spearfishing )
(rare and when located $$$$)

Sport Fishing in Hawaii
Edward Y Hosaka 1944
second American book on diving and spearfishing
( but a precious few pages on Spearfishing)
(can be located at a reasonable price)

Berts Barometric pressure,(Hitchcock)
1053 pages-hard cover, 1943,College Book company
( the American translation of Paul Berts 1878 monumental book on pressure
La Pression de barometric
(very rare and very $$$$$ )

You are about 25 years late to the party...
25 years ago I organized and presented the very first US Diving Bibliophile meeting
at that time dive books were rare but available - now they are rare and expensive

I currently have a dedicated dive library of over 2000 books and 13 dive periodicals in library bindings
But I began collecting immediately after the Korean war in 1955-62 years ago when books were a dollar

Good luck with your quest

Samuel Miller, III

Last edited:
Thank you compressor for starting this thread. I would like to read some of the recommended history books of diving.

Hello:

I think it would be useful to recommend a few books on the history of diving for interested divers.

Thank you.

One book that should definitely be on the list is "Deep Diving and Submarine Operations" by Robert H. Davis, who was the Principal and Managing Director of Siebe, Gorman & Company. The book was first published in 1935. Nine editions followed, the last two being in 1981 and 1995, both of which were facsimiles of the Seventh Edition, which came out in 1962 and was reprinted in 1969. The illustrations in the eighth edition are apparently poorly reproduced. The ninth edition, in two separate volumes, used to be available from the Historical Diving Society.

Sir Robert Davis

The Compleat Goggler

Guy Gilpatric 1938

Sport Fishing in Hawaii
Edward Y Hosaka 1944

25 years ago I organized and presented the very first US Diving Bibliophile meeting
at that time dive books were rare but available - now they are rare and expensive

I currently have a dedicated dive library of over 2000 books and 13 dive periodicals in library bindings
But I began collecting immediately after the Korean war in 1955-62 years ago when books were a dollar

Samuel Miller, III

Sir Robert Davis

The Compleat Goggler

Guy Gilpatric 1938

Sport Fishing in Hawaii
Edward Y Hosaka 1944

Samuel Miller, III

I just checked. "Deep Diving and Submarine Operations" is still available from the Historical Diving Society USA. Price $115.

Deep Diving and Submarine Operations

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom