Books about Truk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all-

I'm wondering if there are any books about diving in Truk, preferably with a mix of diving and the history of the site. I've really enjoyed auto- and biographical books like "Shadow Divers" or a "Walk on the Deep Side."

Is there anything out there like this?

There are at least two, by Klaus Lindemann and Dan E. Bailey. Google and you should find them. Both are great.

Rod Macdonald has a book out called Dive Truk Lagoon, although i do not have it (yet), i have his autobiographies and also his book on Dive Scapa flow.

Hope this helps

Dan Bailey's book is the standard reference and is great. But, it is also pretty dense. It's not an easy read "just to learn more about Truk." It's a pretty monumental compilation and useful for reference or if you really, really want to drill down about a particular wreck. Personally, I thought Lindemann's book was only okay.

I like the Rod McDonald book a great deal. It borrows heavily (and with appropriate attribution) from Bailey, but it is far less dense. A good mix of individual ship history, what happened during the raid, and diving today. Good diagrams of the wrecks too, though I have not been back to Truk since getting this book to verify. It is a very readable work.

There is also a book by Andrew Marriott called Legends Beneath the Waves that is pretty good and has some good color photos.

None of these are in the "Shadow Divers" mold - told as a story of adventure, mystery, danger, discovery, etc. These are books about the ships, Operation Hailstone and diving the wrecks.

If I had to pick one as a good intro to Truk that is accessible, has good photos and is balanced between history and diving, I'd go with McDonald's book. If you're really interested, get Bailey's book.

Back in the early eighties there was Shipwrecks of Truk, by Rosenberg. Photos to make you want to go there. I don't recall how much text.

First my apologies for going a little off topic...

Before my first trip to Truk I read a book titled Japanese Destroyer Captain by Tameichi Hara.
It is a superb first person account of the Pacific naval war from the Japanese perspective.

What I learned from the book helped me frame what I saw and experienced at Truk.
It remains at the top of the military books I've read.

It's currently available from Amazon in several formats.

-K

Back
Top Bottom