Book recs by Rachel Lance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey1971

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just finished a new book by Rachel Lance, Chamber Divers, and liked it so much that I immediately got her previous book, In the Waves.

Chamber Divers is a fascinating overview of the early history of decompression theory as developed by Haldane and colleagues, with applications to military dive operations in WW2.

In the Waves is a recounting of her PhD thesis project uncovering the mystery of a Civil War submarine, the HL Hunley.

Both books go into a lot of interesting science, presented in a very accessible and engaging way.

Rachel, if you're on here, great job, and please write more!

@Duke Dive Medicine , I think she's a colleague of yours. Please pass on my compliments if you work with her.

I will pass that on!

In the Waves is a recounting of her PhD thesis project uncovering the mystery of a Civil War submarine, the HL Hunley.

I enjoyed In the Waves, but be advised that it is less diving related than Chamber Divers: The Untold Story of the D-Day Scientists Who Changed Special Operations Forever.

The Normandy invasion was also a huge driver behind development of the various groups in the US Navy that ultimately merged into the UDT (Underwater Demolition Team), which later became the SEALs.

I just finished a new book by Rachel Lance, Chamber Divers, and liked it so much that I immediately got her previous book, In the Waves.

Chamber Divers is a fascinating overview of the early history of decompression theory as developed by Haldane and colleagues, with applications to military dive operations in WW2.

Both books go into a lot of interesting science, presented in a very accessible and engaging way.

Rachel, if you're on here, great job, and please write more!

@Duke Dive Medicine , I think she's a colleague of yours. Please pass on my compliments if you work with her.

Finished reading Chanber Divers last week. Great read. Compellingstory about an arcane subject populated by little known courageous people (including Haldane’s son) who did extensive experiments on themselves to find the edges of oxygen and CO2 toxicity in order to aid combat divers and submariners during WWII.

Highly recommend.

Just bought and received Chamber Divers. Look forward to reading it on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom