Bonnie's Arch Shore Diving Inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howswedeofme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm seeing conflicting information about the ability to shore dive at the Bonnie's Arch site. It looks like if you stay on-property there is a ladder access into the water.Is this site still accessible as a shore dive? The feedback I've found has mostly been that it's easily accessible by boat. If it is still accessible, where can you rent tanks? We've found that most dive ops won't let you take rental tanks off site.

Thanks, KathyV! You're always such a great go-to for Cayman knowledge :hugs:I hadn't thought about that spot getting blown out more often or differently than up around Lighthouse or Turtle Reef but it makes sense. Maybe it's worth the effort to trek up to DiveTech or Macabuca as opposed to trying to find something with shore diving right off the property. We unfortunately can't do Coconut Bay this trip because it's just my husband and I so it's too expensive.

I've never stayed at the Grand Caymanian Holiday Inn but Divetech has an onsite dive op there, and it is a more economical option and you can shore dive Lighthouse Point:

Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman

I think a lot depends on how much diving you want to do on your trip. If you want to do a lot of diving then a dedicated dive resort may be very convenient, and the availability of a house reef with onsite shore diving can add additional, easy diving options with little or no extra expense.

We've never stayed at Cobalt Coast because we like the opportunities to do some of our own food prep and enjoy eating out while on GC, but I understand that they have some "cottages" on the property (?). And that you can op out of the AI option but still take advantage of the resort amenities and the onsite shore diving and the Reef Divers op - but we haven't done that. You didn't mention when you plan to travel, but the CC shore dive can get winded out in the fall, winter, and spring.

Holiday Inn is a little too pricey for a suite and we like having a kitchen because we don't go to restaurants for most of our meals. I'll have to call to find out if there's any couples deal being offered at Lighthouse Point in 2020. We didn't plan on doing much boat diving this trip just because we wanted more flexibility with our day's schedule but depending on the price, it might be a good option. We are planning to go in January, which is when we typically travel to GC, so we're familiar with the wind challenges in the West Bay area that time of year.

What month are you going? You may find unpublished off season rates at Coconut Bay by simply asking.

What month are you going? You may find unpublished off season rates at Coconut Bay by simply asking.

They are going in January, so definitely high season and many places may already be booked.

Correct on high season but there are still bookings available (in case anyone else is reading this and need that much space!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom