Bonica camera and strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdeb001

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a bonica snapper underwater camera and housing. It came with a strobe and handle which the camera screws into. I have never used the strobe but wondered if I got a digital camera and housing if the strobe would work with it. The strobe has a switch for off/on/test so I think it has to be manually operated. Has anyone ever used one? I don't seem to have the instruction manual. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.:confused:

I had a Bonica Snapper and had pretty good luck with it. The flash in the camera is only good for 2ft or less. The external flash gives a little more range but not much. However it makes a dramatic improvement in reducing backscatter. The flash is fired by a slave sensor. It is triggered by the internal flash. There is a little black piece of plastic that fits inside the housing to deflect the flash to the slave sensor. The set up doesn't work very well at all with out it. I got a few ok pictures a roll.
Getting close is the key with a camera like that, as well as most others!
Joe

Thanks joe: i think i have the black plastic piece to go in the housing. There wasn't much of an instruction manual and I seem to have lost it. I tried the camera with the flash and got nothing but green and back scatter so I think I'll try the strobe this weekend. thanks, db

The strobe won't work for any digital cameras with a pre flash, except for the Oly 5050 which has an option to cancel the pre flash. My friend uses the 5050 with the Bonica and he's satisfied with the setup for now.

Best fishes

I have a bonica snapper underwater camera and housing. It came with a strobe and handle which the camera screws into. I have never used the strobe but wondered if I got a digital camera and housing if the strobe would work with it. The strobe has a switch for off/on/test so I think it has to be manually operated. Has anyone ever used one? I don't seem to have the instruction manual. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.:confused:
Does any one still have this camera
kit ? Particularly the strobe + arm tray
Please let me known I would interested to hear from you !

Cheers ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom