Bonaire vs St Martin/Saba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocobello

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for any help here. Winter trip late January for one week. Where to go....just looking for warm weather and diving, some side land trips. Reefs that are not dead, not to cowarded with other divers, and that we do not have to break the bank. One exper. diver the other, begineer wanting more.

Thanks

I have dove all three.
Saba isn't the best place for a beginner.
Easy to get in three dives a day in Saba - hard to do more.
There can be strong currents.

I think that Bonaire would be you best choice. You can dive as much or as little as you want and on your dive schedule.
The diving is about as easy as it gets and its a good place for a new diver to gain in confidence. You also have the option to do boat or shore diving.

---------- Post Merged at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:28 AM ----------

If you want to do some land based activities (not related to diving) you may want to look at Belize as an option.
The diving is not quite as good as Saba or Bonaire (unless out go out to the atolls and then it is) but the land based activities are top notch.

Have done all 3 as well. Bit of a summary:
-Saba - deep diving at the best sites, all boat diving, currents can run, very limited land-based opportunities, no beaches, limited dining options, no shopping opportunites (lace and saba spice aside).
-SXM - decent shallow sites to deeper further offshore sites, very little to no shore diving, most land based opportunites, most active night life, wide variety of topside beaches, excellent shopping opportunites on both Dutch and French side, great restaurants at every price point. Probably the largest inventory of properties available from hotel rooms to Villas with staff.(Warning - January will be high season - crowds, traffic jams, bridge openings, mega yachts, celebrity sightings possible and it can attract a bad element.)
- Bonaire - shallow to deep sites, boat and shore diving, reef close to shore, some land based touring options, no 'real' beaches (ironshore), no crowds, little traffic, plenty of restaurants at all price points, dedicated to dive 24/7, few trinket shops downtown...and Gio's for gelato which makes the entire trip worth it!

All three offer easy on the wallet lodging options, SXM and Bonaire require a car rental (you could get by without, I prefer having my own car), Saba uses taxi services. SXM and Bonaire apartment/condo/houses with full kitchens allow 'dine in' options to cut down expenses and both have great grocery stores.

If it were me, Bonaire. Great for beginner-wanting-more in an almost pool like environment. Stick to shore diving, eliminate the boat fees or add on later - operators are very accomodating. I'd look for a place on the water to try to log as many dives and build up the confidence of the less experienced diver. (That was me a few short years ago with a very experienced patient buddy!) If the $$ for the larger full service resorts - Plaza, Divi, Buddy, Capt Don's - exceed budget, look into Sand $$, Bruce Bowkers, Black Durgon. All are on water and either have on site or next door shop. All have great house reefs, close to shore, easy diving, lovely sunsets.

Not sure what flying out of Wisconsin is like, but Continental has Houston - Bonaire red eye. In any case, from anywhere, airfare is expensive. Good luck!

For a beginner i would say Bonaire. Great dive oriented resorts and packages and some things to do in town. But, also depends on what you want to do. Me, i have about 70dives under my belt and since im going to Bonaire, that is my preference. I'll be doing some boat dives w/ some of the less experienced divers going and then i'll be shore diving the rest of the trip. Either way, Caribbean dive spots are some of the best in the world.

Great Choice- Buddy Dive. Good diving, great breakfast, pool bar, tank pick up and return. Literally all the diving you could possibly want. Non-diving activities include biking, kayaking the mangrove swamp ( use plenty of deet) bird watching, and a drive through the national park on the northern part of the island. Friendly people, decent food, we are returning in February for our fourth visit.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom