Bonaire - Suitable for long-term remote work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience has been quite different, especially recently. When were you there last?
March of last year

Which resort?
A couple of them. I don’t remember the last one, but one of them was Buddy Dive.

I tend to agree about Buddy Dive. The quality really depends on one's location in the resort, but the biggest problem is it sometimes drops out, then comes back in a few minutes. It is also much better NOT in the evenings when all the guests are trying to stream something. My t-mobile service has unlimited data but is restricted speed while using it internationally. So if the BD wifi drops, I can switch to connecting via the cell service....sometimes slow is better than zero bandwidth.

I tend to agree about Buddy Dive.
Bad Internet, or Internet that drops... I've heard this in at least 3 different forums now, so this one is off my list. The price would be huge for a 2 month visit anyway, seems like something I would only try if I was going for 2 weeks or less, and not working at all while there.

It sounds like Bonaire has good infrastructure though now, so at least I haven't heard of large long-term outages -- a short outage, or being able to drive somewhere to get another signal is not a deal-breaker for me.

Unlike last year in Puerto Rico, where they appear to have some real infrastructure problems, maybe from hurricane damage still. That's no excuse for AT&T to have billboards claiming "5G is here, get 5G now" -- at the time 5G was barely available in large US cities. What they were actually selling was 2G or maybe 3G, but they were calling 5ghz frequency modems "5G" -- totally dishonest for a company like AT&T that obviously knows the difference between 5ghz (been around for 10-20 years) and 5G (5th generation latest networking specs).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom